Saturday, September 18, 2010

Happy 5th, Bud!


Everyone always says it: "I can't believe my baby is ____. They've grown up so fast." Well they always say it because it's true. They do grow up so fast. Too fast. Any my little man is no exception. In less than an hour (I'm blogging late), it will officially be Easton's birthday. September 19th.

Ryan took the picture above tonight at LJ's Pizza. We took Easton there for the lunch buffet last month when the girls were in school and the kid scarfed down so much pizza and salad I couldn't believe it. He must have loved it (and the soft serve cone they bring you after the meal and the special attention he got being one on two with mom and dad for a lunch date) because that's where he requested we go for his birthday dinner. He's been talking it up all week. And he seriously cracks me up. Easton knows that Rowan doesn't like pizza, so today when I got home and we were getting ready to head out, he told me that I needed to get a babysitter for Rowan because she couldn't go. When I asked him why not, he just matter of factly told me that if she wasn't going to eat pizza, she couldn't go to his birthday dinner. So funny. Thankfully, Rowan compensates for the love loss on pizza with her true love: salad. So she filled up on salad and garlic bread (and the soft serve cone) and topped it off with some toast at home before bed - her night time crutch to get her through 'til breakfast.

None of the other kids had been to LJ's before and it was pretty much a huge hit with all of them. Afton's plotting to make it our regular Saturday night family dinner date. We'll see.

Anyhow, Easton's been asking me how many more days until his birthday since around Easter time, so for him, tomorrow can't come soon enough. But since I just got back from my girls trip to Cali around 4:00 today and knew I wouldn't be able to swing a party tonight, and since tomorrow is Sunday, our birthday celebrating will be a family dinner with his cousins (Easton's request), chocolate cake and presents. He's five, so I'm sure that tomorrow's celebration will be all that he hopes for. They are so easy to please at five. As long as his cousins are there, he has treats to eat and a couple of good somethings to unwrap, we should be golden.

Aren't these guys awesome? I had a blast on my trip, but I missed my peeps so much. They didn't disappoint on arrival, either. The non-stop talking, rough housing, and just typical Saturday kid-ness was in high gear all afternoon and night. When we were driving home tonight after dinner and a quick trip to Home Depot, the volume was extra extra loud in our crowded car with four over-tired but still hyper kids (we had a new BBQ crammed in the back). All four were double buckled in the middle seat of the suburban, Rowan was "touching" Afton and Easton was making everyone crazy giddy with his funny one-liners. It was just so dang loud. Ryan just turned to look at me and I met his glance. He smiled, gave me that knowing look, and said, "Welcome Home." I hadn't missed a beat. And at that moment, really, truly...I couldn't think of anywhere else I would have rather been. These guys are my world.

Happy Birthday, Buddy Boy. You are our caboose, my baby, my big 5-year old wonder. You melt my heart and keep us laughing. Your smile is contagious and your eyes light up my world. I hope your day is great tomorrow, Bud, and that this next year is your best ever!

I love you too much!

1 comment: