Friday, October 1, 2010

Michael


My mom wanted to have a large family. She always imagined that she'd have four or five kids. But Heavenly Father had a different plan in mind for her, and blessed her with just two: Michael & me. She's told me so many times over the years how grateful she was to have us and that two turned out to be the perfect number for her. And lucky for me - I got to be the little sister to the best brother in the world, and have him all to myself. All my childhood memories with Michael are so good. Really, all of them. If we ever fought, I can't remember it. He was the big brother that every girl dreams of: fun, protective, likable, didn't tease. He always let me tag along. He was the measuring stick I used to evaluate my future husband material. When I met Ryan and quickly fell in love with him, I knew he was the one not only because my heart told me so, but because he possessed so many of the same great attributes I had always admired in Michael. Both Ryan and Michael are among those "good to the core" kind of men, and I'm blessed to have both of them in my life.

Now that we're all grown up, Mike still ranks up there in the top 3 of my life, right along side my husband and my father. Truly, he's one of a kind and I get to claim him as my favorite brother without bias.

Yesterday was his birthday. Mike turned 41, which means I must be getting old too, but I still have a year and a few months before my ticker swaps out a "3" for a "4". So I really can't be that old :).

We are getting together on Sunday night for family dinner to celebrate, but I've been thinking about him all week. These are just a few of my favorite pictures of Michael. If you know Michael, you know he has a passion for a number of things: his wife, his family, his weapons, his outdoors, and his fun. He's a "do it 100% or nothing" kind of guy, and I love that about him.

Us at Magic Mountain this summer

At Carlsbad Beach with Dad and his four terrific sons

Mike has always loved to surf. This was taken maybe 20 years ago I think?

He loves to ride and has bought and sold a number of bikes over the years. I think he's presently bike-less, but I know the love is still there...


From the time Michael was a young boy, he always had a love for weapons. True, the knife/sword goes with the pirate costume, but I would venture a guess that he chose the costume because of the sword! Just sayin'...

He was my very best friend growing up, and we still love hanging out with he and Shari now. We double date and vacation together often.

I'm not sure which birthday this was, but from the looks of my missing teeth, I would guess I was in second grade, so I'm thinking this was probably Mike's 10th birthday. He loved that dart board! In this pic: Michael, Matt Schoenthaler (sp?), Dale Jr., me, Julie & Laura

Michael with Tate & Easton two years ago on his birthday.

Shari & Mike - very much in love. One of the things I love most about Michael is the love he shows to Shari. When we are with them, you just know beyond a shadow of a doubt that he adores her.

Again, note the knife strapped onto Michael's hip. Hmmm....I wonder how it all began?



Michael loves the great outdoors, in whatever shape it presents itself. This is him kayacking in Mexico a couple of summers ago (the one and only time we got them to join us down in Rocky Point, which was a total blast. Maybe someday they'll come back with us!)
Rappelling at Roger's Trough. He took his gear and taught all of us how to get down the mountain. That was such a great trip.


This one just melts my heart. Michael with Tater when he was just a babe. Man, Tate has come such a long way!

My sniper SWAT brother...you make me proud! And feel safe!


Happy Birthday, bro. I love you to infinity and beyond!

2 comments:

  1. Very sweet, Kelli and so true. I will make sure he reads this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post-- you really do have a great brother.

    ReplyDelete