Thursday, October 28, 2010

12 Things: This is Us Oct 2010

(Us at the end of a great day at Knotts Berry Farm 10/13/10)

I have too many things to write about. It's like when I don't write in my journal for far too long then finally open it up and think I have to catch up and I end up writing a novel. But I have no time for a novel today.
Life has been so good and so busy and so memorable. Lots of milestones. Lots of memories. Lots of everything. I've taken a bunch of pics, but haven't uploaded anything from my good digital camera all month. There's a treasure of photo joys on that oh-so-precious memory stick, just waiting for a good hour of my time. They're begging to be seen. But until then...a few gems from the iPhone camera.

One of my favorite journaling styles, especially in my scrapbooks (which have been 100% neglected for months and months), is lists. I'm good at lists. I can make them like the best of 'em. So here are the bullet point highlights of October 2010 before the calendar page is turned and the "HOLIDAYS" officially begin:
1) We beach camped at South Carlsbad State Beach for Fall Break. Loved it. Lots and lots of cousins and friends. Kid city...kids everywhere. Mine were in heaven. Grilled steaks, ate at our favorite Mexican food dive, Juanitas - three times. Played Rook. Barrett started reminding me of a teenager, roaming through the campground with packs of friends, just checking in for mom's sanity periodically. She's growing up. The first half of the week graced us with fantastic weather (I was out boogie boarding and loving it), the second half not so much. Still, we worshiped the beach and hoped for the sun and the kids braved the cooler weather like troopers. I've decided that they don't really care. As long as they are outside, with friends, roaming free - life is good. Sun or no sun.



2) Barrett turned 12 while we were there. We celebrated her birthday at Knotts Berry Farm and had the place to ourselves. What a great day together.

3) After a long full day of crazy theme park riding, we ate at Cheesecake Factory with the kids and my folks. Barrett ordered up a scrumptious cheesecake (of course) and even shared a little with me!

3) The next day, we went with Barrett to do baptisms for the dead at the San Diego temple. Such a great experience for all of us. In addition to a few other family names and temple prepared names, Barrett was able to be baptized for her great great Aunt Evelyn, who Barrett met and stayed with in Ohio a few years back during one her trips with Ryan (she passed away in 2007). What a great temple experience for all of us. Hopefully Evelyn is smiling up there...

4) Our 20-year Mountain View High School Reunion was last weekend. Toro Class of 1990. Everything turned out so great. It was such a neat experience heading that up with our marvelous committee and rekindling so many friendships from the past during this past year as we planned and prepared for this big event. Yes, it was a lot of work, but really, I had fun all along the way. Really, truly. So I think that's a good sign. Even our planning meetings were so fun. And Saturday night - amazing fun. I left exhausted but smiling.

Some of our committee (there were 14 of us on the committee altogether): Me, Linda Lou, Shari, Nicole, Althea & JaNae. I loved working with you! (I posted all the reunion pics on my Facebook page and our class website, so that will have to do. Too many for this blog.)

My handsome husband, and fellow Class of 1990 grad. I loved that we graduated together and were both able to enjoy this reunion together.

Some of my best high school friends: Linda, Cindy, Tara, Stacy & Me

Our spectacular Toro candy table. Isn't it awesome? That was a huge hit.

We had about 160 people at the reunion and such a great crowd. The venue was perfect at Rustler's Rooste, in their outside barn area at the top of South Mountain. Spectacular views. City lights. Perfect weather. The place was decorated so festively with all our Toro red and blue. Big blown up black and white photos of our sports teams and graduation pics. Yearbooks. Pom pons. Megaphones. Memory books keepsakes to take home on the table. Food was delicious too. We mingled, ate, laughed, watched our "Then and Now" tribute movie that turned out so good. Had funny awards, took a huge group photo, danced to some good '80's tunes whipped up by our DJ, laughed some more, talked, talked, talked. So many good friends and a good mix of people. The real "cliques" were mostly gone. Nobody really cared who you used to hang out with 20 years ago. Everyone was just so happy to see everyone else and genuinely interested in each other's lives. So many good people that we went to school with. Really, good, good to the core kind of people. And it's so good to see so many people happy and thriving in life. My favorite part of our "Then and Now" DVD was by the far the "Now." As the current family pictures scrolled across the screen, one by one, I was overcome with emotion seeing all the families of our classmates and realizing what a legacy we have. Truly, we are so blessed.

The feedback has been overwhelming. Just about every single person at the reunion came up before leaving with a huge smile and hug, expressing genuine thanks for such a great night. Everyone loved the placed and the more casual atmosphere and dished kudos all the way around. And I can't even begin to count the number of personal emails, texts and Facebook messages we've received over the past several days, thanking me and our committee for such a memorable night. Truly, I've been awed and humbled by the gratitude and the response.

5) And now life moves on, still so busy but so good. My two sisters-in-laws' babies were blessed Sunday (Boston and Ava) and we had a big family dinner afterwards to celebrate that great occasion as well as all the October birthdays in the Brown family, which are many.

6) We drew names for Christmas (can't believe it's here again already). Caught up with the fam.

7) The boys gave Bob, my father in law a blessing, as he went in for his third surgery in a month. He's getting ready for kidney dialysis and has had to have a couple surgeries to prepare, and then he got a hernia that had to be repaired. Thankfully, he's been handling them all well and has been such a trooper through it all. We continue to pray for him day and night.

8) The big annual church Halloween chili & fry bread party is Saturday night. Still the activities director so I'm heading it up. Many fliers delivered Monday night with the Berrey family for FHE (thanks for taking the kiddos on the Ranger - they loved it), lots of volunteers to coordinate for Saturday, too many paper goods to count. It will be great, just as it has been every year for the past 25+ years as we live in such a great neighborhood with great people. And how can chili and fry bread and homemade root beer and kids in costumes be anything but good?

9) I got another calling on Sunday too. Now teaching the 4th Sunday Relief Society lessons as well, which will be good for me. More study, more devotion. I need it.

10) Did the last minute costume accessory shopping at lunch hour today: vampire teeth, white face makeup, fake fairy eyelashes, a little hair dazzle for the rock star. I vetoed new Halloween costumes this year. Just wasn't interested in devoting any energy or funds to that this year. We have two huge crates of past Halloween costumes - four kids' worth - so we let the peeps have it and come up with something to wear. They didn't even complain or ask once to go to the store for something new. I was pleasantly surprised. It was great. I'm doing that every year I think. They were happy as clams taking turns mixing it up and changing their minds a million times before finally landing on "the one." Easton sported the hodge podge of at least six different costume parts and cracked us all up. He was the the cat slash pirate slash lobster slash vampire slash superhero. Nice.

11) Candy ready. Treats and plates and all for four class parties tomorrow - ready.

12) And the running goes on. I'm loving the cooler weather. I was actually cold this morning at 5:50 am. Long sleeves even. Race day is 16 days away and I am getting excited. Can't wait for Ryan to be there running too. His first half marathon, my second. What a cool thing for us to do together. I want to be speedier, but I never do sprint days in my training so I'll probably never gain much speed until I do. So I'll just run my comfortable pace, which is fine. I am doing it and I am happy and life is good.

So this is Us. The Mesa Browns. Living life.

1 comment:

  1. We had a great time at the beach with you guys. I wish we would have been there when it was sunny. I can't wait to see your reunion video...the early 90's has to have some great hairdos! Thanks for coming to Boston's and Eva's blessing. It was such a special day!

    ReplyDelete