Monday, July 25, 2011

Pics from the MBVT in OTSD

MBVT = Mormon Battalion Visitor Center
OTSD = Old Town San Diego
ILTF = I Love This Family

Grandpa Steve, Afty, Me, Barrett & Grandma Cindy, just chillin' while the littles panned for gold.




Easton got picked to be the soldier that was outfitted for duty. He was a great sport, although everything was just a wee bit too big on his five year old frame!



Even though we visited the MBVT last summer, it was awesome going back. Such a great reminder of how much our ancestors sacrificed for us and how much faith they had. The other morning as I stopped by my parents house in the early hours to steal a quick drink of hose water during my ever-so-stinking-hot run, I thought about that scene in one of the Mormon Battalion movie clips where the group had been traveling for 48+ hours with no water. Finally, they spotted a small "marsh" for lack of a better word, filled with murky, muddy water and flies all over, and they thought they were in heaven. They lapped it up like it was the best thing they'd ever drank. I was literally dry heaving while watching it, seriously so close to tossing my cookies. I am sooooo grateful to live where I live in the century that I do and enjoy the blessings I enjoy. Truly, truly grateful. Last night I read through the conference talks that I'll be teaching on next month and the topic is all about helping the less fortunate, living a provident life, and being self-reliant. I thought about those pioneers. I thought about the destitute and down trodden. I thought about how lucky I have it. I have a lot to work on. A lot. I need to be more grateful for the little things. Like clean water. Even if it is out of a garden hose.

No comments:

Post a Comment