Sunday, November 13, 2011

Shun the Sun 2011

Another great race day come and gone.  Too bad Ryan wasn't out there running with me, but we are both really hoping that the cast will come off this week and he'll at least be able to get a walking boot.  Wednesday is the big day.  I'm grateful that he was there to support me, as always, and that he continues to be my #1 fan.

Both of us were sporting pretty cool shirts.  He decided to wear his last year's Shun the Sun half marathon tee in honor of Saturday's race.  And I love the words on mine:  The faster you run, the faster you're done.  Simple but true.

Ryan and the kids got some good shots of me coming down the chute at the finish line. They made me smile :) The video made me smile even more.



This is my friend, Jenny Clouse.  We seem to meet up with each other at most races these days.  She married a guy I went to junior high and high school with, Doug Clouse, and we have gotten to be friends over the years.  She's a strong runner and usually a little faster than me, so it was great running with her this year.  I passed her up around mile 2 or 3 but didn't know it was her, then she caught up to me not too long afterwards and asked what my goal time was.  I told her I was trying to set a new PR and beat last year's time.  I wanted to run under 1:49.  She said she was shooting for 1:45, so I told her that she could be my pacer.  She laughed and said, "No, you can be my pacer." Ya, right.

We ran together for most of the race, until I started to have a little mental challenge around mile 8.  When I hit the 8-mile marker, I looked at my watch and my average page for the first 8 was 7:59/mile.  Of course you start having all those glory thoughts:  "Man, if I can just keep up this pace the rest of the race, I'll be sub-8:00.  Sub 8!!!  Holy cow."  But then I started struggling a little with the whole, "I still have 5 miles to go" and the canal path was rocky and my legs were getting tired and yada yada yada.  The usual mind game.  Somewhere around here, Jenny got about 20-30 seconds ahead of me.  But I never lost sight of her cute little red running skirt and blonde ponytail flapping as she ran.  Every time I wanted to slow down, I kept willing myself to not let the gap get too big.  She was a great pacer indeed.

Anyway, we finished the race less than a minute apart and both set new PR's.  It was a great day for running without a doubt!  Fantastic cool weather, family cheering me on along the sidelines.  My mom came and was outside the stadium video-ing the final turn off Center street into the stadium area and it was awesome seeing her there.  She must have run inside after I passed because she was there at the finish line too.   Loved it!

At the finish line with Afty


Easton and Rowan really wanted to come too (they all love coming to the races because there is usually tons of cool free stuff, bouncers, food, etc) but we had some balancing to do since my niece, Lainey, was getting baptized that same morning.  So the littles spent the night with cousins and went to the baptism (which I heard was very nice) and the olders came to cheer me on at the race.
Just stretching and chillaxing after the race with a little jamba juice.  Gotta love those race sponsors and all the free goods.
My friends, Kourtney & Richard Garner, post-race.  Kourtney ran the half too, and Richard did the 10k. 

Next race:  Turkey Trot 10k on Thanksgiving.  One of my favs!

Next next race:  Sedona Half Marathon Feb 4, 2012 (scary hilly, high elevation)  Not sure what I'm thinking, but I'm already signed up along with my friend, Robyn, from work.  Maybe we're both insane. We won't be setting any new PR's at that one, but the scenery should be fantastic!

Next next next race:  Phoenix Half Marathon March 3, 2012 - really excited about that one.  Starts at the base of Usery Mountain (under the painted "Phoenix" on the mountain) and ends at Longbow golf course.

(and maybe another one or two in between - we'll see!)

No comments:

Post a Comment