Monday, April 23, 2012

Go and Do

Sometimes it's important to write it down.  Today I feel strongly about it.  So here it goes.


Last Monday morning, 4/16, I woke up for my early morning run as usual.  I hardly thought about the run or the weather or the music or anything common, as I was so preoccupied with a dream I had the night before.  Actually, I think the best way to describe it was that I felt frustrated that I could not remember all the details and I was, for some reason, struggling hard to recreate the fragmented bits and pieces.  Nonetheless, the feelings and impressions I had were undeniable.


After the run, the hustle and bustle of the morning routine kicked in as Ryan and I worked in tandem to get our 4 peeps off to school with cute hair, ironed clothes, full bellies, signed planners, and something healthy in the lunch bags.  Then it was a rush to shower up and get ready for work while Ryan went for his run.  As I stood in my bathroom curling my hair and doing my makeup, those strong impressions kept coming back.  Finally, Ryan got home just as I was about to head out the door, and I had a couple minutes alone with him. 


I told him about my dream and that I had such a strong impression that we needed to get our water storage supply in order.  It was an unmistakable prompting and his immediate reaction was, "I'll go today."  No hesitation.  He concurred that when inspiration like that hits, just obey, don't question.  I felt a sudden peace.


Not an hour later, I got a call at the office from Ryan telling me he was at Fry's buying $100 in bottled water.  My first thought was, "Wow, that was fast."  And then he said, "After I ate breakfast this morning, I came upstairs to brush my teeth and the water was all cloudy.  I turned on all the faucets and let it run, but it didn't clear up.  What if the water supply is contaminated or something?  And I couldn't help but think about your dream.  So I am here."


Just wait - it gets better...


The week passed and we had intermittent cloudy water a few times, but it would clear up.  Then this weekend and this morning it seemed especially bad.  The girls were freaking out about brushing their teeth with it today so they used bottled water instead. 


Well, Ryan left for his run this morning out the back Arcadia door, and when he came back he yelled for me to come outside.  When I got out there, our back patio was getting flooded with water coming up from a hole in the patio.  The sprinklers were on in the yard so we weren't sure if there was some connection.  But it was flooding bad and looked like a spring had erupted under our house.


This, combined with the skim milk coming out of my bathroom as I brushed my teeth kicked me over the edge and I called the City of Mesa.  After waiting on hold forever, I finally got through and talked to 3 people before I finally got the city cell phone number of the water inspector for the Water Quality division.  Amazingly, he answered right away.  His name is Jeff and he was very kind.


I told him about my milk water and he explained the following:
  • Last Sunday night, 4/15/12, the main water plant at Lindsay and McDowell which serves our area went down.  They have been working to repair it all week.  (This was the night I had the dream).
  • In the interim, the City is running water from the reserve wells in order to "not run out of water to serve the residents."  Yes, he said that.  I wrote it down.
  • As the wells are used so seldom, there is a lot of air in the lines, which is causing the water to appear "milky" looking when it comes out of the tap.  He advised for us to fill a clear glass and watch the water clear from the bottom up as the air evaporates out of the water.
  • He assured me that there was no issue with the quality, just excess air.  I grilled him here, and he stuck to his guns.  No issues he says.
  • When I asked him how long this would go on, he said that they were hoping to have the water plant repaired by yesterday, but they've been running into problems and the latest estimate is that they will still be tapping into the reserve wells for another week.  They hope to have it back up by Friday.
And what if it's not?  Hmmm...


Well, our under-house spring is yet to be resolved, but we are praying it's just an irrigation pipe that burst.  Our guy will be out today to check it out.  But at least now our water storage is in order again and, if nothing else, we'll be blessed for our obedience and prepared for the hot summer.  I am grateful for the inspiration that comes when we need it, and even more grateful that I heard the prompting.  I am certain that inspiration and promptings come more often than we recognize and certainly more often than we heed.  I hope to do a better job recognizing that and being ready to "go and do." 


One more thought...


Thanks to my Uncle Dale for his short and sweet testimony yesterday during stake conference.  The reminder that we need to be "goers and doers" was a good one for me.  By the way, that was the best stake conference I have ever attended.  Ever.   What a great spiritual boost for me.  And I was so grateful that our family accepted our stake president's challenge from last stake conference to read the BOM before this conference.  We finished as a family on Friday night, and I finished my personal reading on Saturday.  Without a doubt that was the best BOM reading experience I've had.

1 comment: