Friday, June 8, 2012

Continued...from the River to the Top!


And here we are, back at the Colorado River, this time crossing the Bright Angel bridge.  All the rest of the hike (the ascent up) is familiar, as this is the way we come back up on our Rim to Rim hikes each year.  But everything was new to Barrett since this was her first experience traversing the Canyon.  At this point, we were all still smiling and doing great.  

Just on the other side of the bridge is the infamous marker that has been the subject of a picture on each adventure thus far.



Shortly after crossing the river on the way up Bright Angel, we enter The Box.  Short for The Sandbox I believe, which is very appropriately named.  Lots of fun digging your way out of this part, especially since it's now late morning/mid day and the temperature is rising.  Still, it's a sign that the second half has truly begun.



Man, did I already say I love the river?  Someday I want to go on a weeklong river tour in one of these babies.  It looks so fun and reminds me of a couple super fun river rafting trips from years gone by.  I looked up the tours online and they are just a mere $2500/person.  Chump change, right?  Aaahhh, maybe someday.

Ok, so it's getting hot, and we take every opportunity we can to dip our heads in the creek and cool off. Sure, we smelled a little (or maybe a whole lot) like river water after that, but I'm sure the other aroma of sweat and dirt overpowered that stench.  It was so freezing cold and refreshing, though.  We loved it!


Perhaps her expression is telling of the fatigue?  But let's cut her a little slack...it's hot and hard at this point, and she's starting to question my promise of shade.  Oh ya, it's May not September and there will be no shade at all the rest of the way.  Sorry...


Another head dunking break on the quest for Indian Gardens.

Oh my goodness!  We are almost there!  Ryan took off about a half mile ago to get in some running on the flats, and I stayed back with B.  He said he'd meet up with us at Indian.


Breaking at Indian Garden in the shad, right next to the water spout.  It feels so good to sit for a bit and fuel up on some snacks.  Only 4.5 miles to go!  All uphill!  So close, but yet so far...


Just keep hiking, just keep hiking...



Barrett gave up the poles close to mile 14 or 15 and all of sudden she was a new woman.  She decided it was too awkward trying to coordinate that extra movement and the effort she saved from not using her arms (which are her least strong muscles) saved her.  She seriously rocked it coming out!


 Quick break to catch our breath and rest for a few.


 I think this was between the 3 and 1.5 mile water stations, but I am not certain.  Picture taking on the way up diminishes significantly...

We are soooooo almost there!  Only about another mile I think.

The light at the end of the tunnel (literally).  Now, we are really, really close!


High fives at the top.  Time for ice cream!


Yay!  We did it.  We took our time, took lots of breaks and tons of pictures, and so much enjoyed this great experience with Barrett.  What a cool memory for all of us.

Just the training that we did together getting ready for the hike was a special experience for me.  Barrett and I had a lot of of one on one time as we got up before the crack of dawn and hiked Pass Mountain, or took late night runs/hikes around Mesa.  She is an amazing young lady and I am proud to be her mama.

When we got home, B asked, "Mom, when we do the Rim to Rim in September, can I get a shirt?"  Sweet.  She's still in :)


And here are our Garmins for the official blog record.  Ry's watch says 18.65 miles, and mine says 18.62.  Officially, the journey from South Kaibab to the river to Phantom and then back to the river and up Bright Angel is only 17.5.




1 comment:

  1. OH KELLI...what a thrill...something that I never did with my daughters 0r sons and I regret it but glad that their dad did...I LOVE YOUR PICTURES...since my family didn't take many pictures, yours make it seem like I am almost there HA HA without ending up doing the GC shuffle ETC...they are doing better on picture taking now with the lightweight digitals, your example, etc....Luke and Willi are at Havasupai today. LOVE THE POST KELL & I'm waiting for another one with pictures :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete