Monday, June 4, 2012

Kickoff to Summer

The Update:

Softball:

Barrett's team ending up winning the Juniors Division championship in a double header against Red Mountain.  The first game was tight (6-5) but then they schooled RM 11-5 in game 2.  It was a great night at the ball park, but then again, it's always good when you win :)  Barrett played well that night, and really had a great season overall.   She went 3/4 with a walk, 3 RBI's and stole home in the last inning of the first game to tie it up.

Grandma Rita:

My Grandma Rita peacefully passed away in her sleep on Friday, May 18th, 2012 after living a long, rich 94-year life.  Almost 95.  I think she just didn't want to face another Arizona summer to get her to August 16th.  And I'm sure she was hankering to get back to Harry.  They were pretty darn good together.  72 years married before he passed away last July.  And what a legacy they left: 4 children, 21 grandchildren, 57 great grandchildren, and 3 great-great granchildren.  That's pretty fantastic by all accounts. 

I am so blessed to have grown up with her (and all my grandparents) so close all my life.  I've always known them, always loved them, always had them involved in my life and the lives of my children.  We will miss her very much, but are so thankful to know that she's reunited with Grandpa Harry again after almost 10 months apart.  I can only imagine what a joyous reunion it was for them.

The week following Grandma's passing was a busy one.  I was grateful for the opportunity to prepare Grandma's funeral program and go through so many photo albums and scrapbooks scanning old pictures.  I love that my Grandma was an amazing historian and wrote detailed information on the back of just about every photo.  She always loved geneology and family history and temple work.  I think I get my inner "historian" from her.  The week culminated with a wonderful funeral service on Friday, May 25th at our ward building, and Bishop Uncle Jim conducted the service.  My two cousins, Jodi & Karrie, spoke and both were so funny.  Really, it was just perfect.  I loved hearing their thoughts and stories.  I told Jodi she stole the show and I meant it. My dad gave a good life history, and Aunt Katrina, Uncle Dale and Uncle Jim all shared some good thoughts too.  I sang with my cousins Loralee & Sierra Willis, SIL Shari & niece Randi, and Barrett, "I Need Thee Every Hour."  Melanie accompanied us on the piano.  Everything was beautiful.  The burial at the cemetery was pleasant and breezy, and the luncheon by the RS was also so nice.  I think that when someone has lived such a long, rich life, that gathering together with family to celebrate that life is truly a blessed occassion.  I loved seeing all my cousins again and catching up with them.  I have pics I need to post.

School Finale:

Yes, school has officially ended and we've made it through the first week of summer break.  Afton ended her year receiving the Citizenship Award at her awards ceremony, finishing with straight A's again, playing an awesome season of softball, dressing up as Martha Washington for her 5th grade wax museum, progressing nicely on the piano, and being one of four students in her school to be invited to take junior high math next year.  Yes, she's got the math gift.  She'll be going over to Stapley for 6th hour every day during her last year at Hale.  I'm not super sure I would have chosen to do that, but I think she's looking forward to the challenge.  And it will be good for her to get ahead and get 2 years of high school math under her belt before she actually gets to high school since I know she'll be taking 4 full credits of sports at MV and will need the extra room in her schedule.  Our Afty still cracks me up all the time.  She is so dang funny.  Even when I try not to laugh because I think she's gone over the top and is teetering on plain goofy, I just can't help myself.  She just makes me smile with all her impersonations and funny wit.  She spends lots of free time hanging with her best friend in the world, Sydney, and we love her so much.

Rowan also finished the year with straight A's, having one of the leading roles in her school's 2nd grade play (she was the spider in "Goin' Buggy), kicking some booty on the softball field, and being our social butterfly.  She's constantly playing with a friend.

Buddy Boy graduated from kindergarten and received the "Extra" award at his graduation for being Extra Smart, Extra Good and an Extra Delight to have in class.  We loved his teacher like no other and I secretly think that our little 6-year old man had a small crush on the beautiful and amazing 20-something year old Miss Etzen.  She was so good for Easton this year. 

Barrett is moving on to 8th grade and was awarded an Academic Honors Award for 4.0 GPA at the Stapley awards ceremony.  She too had a great school year and made so many new friends this year in junior high.  It seems like she blossomed so much.  What a fun year she has ahead of her being in student council!  She's already diving in, working at the school for a couple of hours every morning for the next two weeks, helping the incoming 7th graders in the Step Up to Stapley Program and prepping for next year's activities with her student council team.

Summer Plans:

We kicked off the summer vacations with no delay, spending Memorial Day weekend up at the cabin with my folks and Grandpa & Krissie.  The girls brought their friends, Hallie & Syd, and we spent tons of time playing and eating, as always.  Mike & Shari & family came up for the day on Saturday and played with us (sans Bryant who was busy partying it up after graduating from Highland High School - woot woot!)  I ran and lounged and cooked and swung and played tons of cards and just enjoyed everything.  It was such a nice start to our summer.

Barrett headed out last Tuesday morning to her Time to Blossom conference where she stayed all week at the Doubletree Hotel in San Tan.  She roomed with Hallie Bauer and Amy Garner and some other girl they didn't know and really had a fun, uplifting week.  It's basically like EFY, but just for girls.  It's always wierd having one of the family members away - kind of an odd void even though we all knew she's be back in a few days.  Ry and I got to go to the hotel Friday night to see their closing ceremonies and pick her up.  I cried of course.  It was pretty powerful watching those videos of the week and seeing all those girls out on the stage and around the conference center singing their closing song.  I hope she remembers those tender feelings always.  

Today Barrett started her Strength & Conditioning Camp at Mountain View.  She goes 4 days a week all month long and they train them hard.  I asked her how it went today and she said, "Intense."  It's a mixed class of boys and girls (but mostly boys), incoming 8th - 12th graders.  The MV coaches are teaching it and I know they will work them hard.

Meanwhile, Afton's summer is all about sports so far.  She started Mountain View Basketball Camp last week and goes every day for 4 weeks.  She's been swimming and practicing so hard at her evening softball clinics at Quail.  This week we are adding in 3 afternoons of Volleyball camp too.  Just for good measure :)  Yes, she is tired, but she is definitely having fun.

Row and Bud have just been doing a lot of playing and swimming and hanging with friends.  Their sports camps don't start until next week, so they've been able to veg a little. 

Ry took off today for scout camp up at Geronimo and won't be back until Saturday.  Barrett leaves again Thursday for Girls Camp at Lo Mia. I'm flying solo on the parent front.  Thank goodness for Grandma Cindy who can help with my little peeps on the work days. 

Me:  I'm just here, doing the usual, playing house and working.  I'm still running a lot and enjoying it, but I can feel the mornings warming up for sure.  As long as I'm out the door before 6:00, it's not too bad.  Soon, we'll be ramping up the mileage, going on some longer hikes, getting ready for the R2R in September and then flowing right into race season.  It will be here before we know it.  That reminds me - I still need to post our GC hike pics from Cinco de Mayo.  Tomorrow...yes, tomorrow I will post :)

Europe is right around the corner - two weeks from yesterday.  I still can't believe we are going and I can't believe it's almost here.  Truly, I am a little nervous about being across the globe from my kids, traveling via trains on a rail pass, being in a foreign land I've never experienced, and being away for 9 days.  But what an incredible opportunity we have to go.  I know it will be amazing! I can't wait to tour Interlaken, visit the real Matterhorn, hike Mont Blanc, paraglide over the French Alps, dine in an authentic Italian village, and experience it all.

Life is good at the Brown House.  We are happy and busy and staying active.  Just the way we like it.

2 comments:

  1. Wow Kelli...INTENSE is just the word for it...YOU GUYS ARE INTENSE...sounds like alot of good stuff going on at the Browns, "just the way you like it" and LUCKY YOU...EUROPE!!! Sounds like a great summer!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like a perfect start to summer, we officially began ours this week so we are busy doing a whole lot of nothing first:) Hope to see you next week at the Goodman girl cousin shin-dig.

    ReplyDelete