Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Just grateful

Sunday at church was our monthly Fast & Testimony Meeting. It's usually the first Sunday of every month, and a day when we come to our meetings fasting and more receptive to inspiration and the spirit. In our sacrament meeting, instead of hearing prepared messages from a couple members of our congregation who were asked to prepare a message on an assigned gospel topic in advance, we do something different. Of course, we still take the sacrament - which is the whole reason we come to church in the first place - but then we are all invited to share our testimonies. Unprepared, unrehearsed, heartfelt thoughts about the things we believe to be true. In our ward, every fast and testimony meeting seems great to me. I'm sure that many people feel that way, but really - we have a spectacular ward. So many incredible members. People of faith. People of character. Such strong testimonies.

Well, this past Sunday, after the sacrament was finished and after our good Bishop shared his testimony and turned the remainder of the meeting over to us, there was a lull. Kind of long lull actually. No one was coming up. My dad finally got up and shared his sweet testimony and relayed a neat missionary experience he had last weekend sharing the Gila Valley Temple with some of his non-member friends. After he sat down, again there was another lull. A long lull. Strange. My heart was pounding and my eyes were already teary. Coming to a meeting fasting already makes us more susceptible to the spirit. Add to that the tender words shared earlier that morning in our ward council meeting by our bishop, and also those shared by my dear friend, Louisa, who gave us the spiritual thought. And add to all that the fact that I always cry at church anyway. Seriously, always.

I was already clutching two wet tissues and going on a third. But I got up anyway and shared my simple testimony. My voice was crack-ley like it always is when I'm teary. Nothing new. So I spoke through my tears and I shared my conviction about the things I know to be true. I also shared my thoughts about the importance of missionary work and gratitude for everthing we have in our lives. I spoke of how the gospel is so much more than a Sunday thing. It's all about us. It's part of everything we do, everything we work for, everything we teach our precious children. It guides all our actions, influences each choice we make, and shapes who we are striving to become. The gospel of Jesus Christ is about becoming like Christ. Every day. One step at time. And I'm grateful to have that incredible influence for good in my life. I'm grateful to be on the path and grateful that I can get back on it every single day, even if I flounder. So grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment