Thursday, July 22, 2010

Sand Days

Sand days are pretty much the best kind of days.


Here are the faces to match the backs. From left: Gavin, Chase, Trey (three of my nephews) and Rowan. She's often the only girl in the bunch, but she doesn't mind. Not at all actually. I think she loves all the attention. Even if it's from her cousins. She and Trey are pretty much best buddies.

We read a ton at the beach - and stayed a little covered up for the first couple of days, although we had great weather for the last four. My mom mostly read some magazines. Isn't she cute? Our kids love it when Grandma Cindy is down at the beach because she always brings the good snacks and pays special attention to them (especially when I'm lost in my book). I read The Host, Hunger Games, Catching Fire, and started The Winner. I really really loved Hunger Games and Catching Fire, but I have to say they gave me nightmares, or at least very vidid dreams. I still think about them too often. Little things trigger thoughts all the time. I guess that's powerful writing, eh?
Ryan was reading the Percy Jackson series. Barrett just finished all five last month.

Rowan and Trey

Barrett & Randi

We played in the sand a ton

We played volleyball too (Easton mostly kicked it around when we weren't playing). I wish I would have taken some pics of our homemade court and make-shift net, but I was playing. Bryant and Brian made a net out of bamboo sticks and string, and it actually worked great. We had a pretty good game of 3 on 3 going for quite a while.

My beautiful Afton...I love you...

Rowan, Grandma Cindy & Afty


This is my little nephew, Grady, digging up a storm.
Not to be outdone by his big cousin, Easton.

Tate loved the beach this year, which was awesome considering he barely tolerated it last year. He had so much fun on our trip.

Tanner & Afton played lots of paddle ball. That's one of our favorites.


Barrett & Randi spent a lot of time boogie boarding and playing in the waves, and then grabbed their towels to warm up. It seems like the kids don't care how cold the water is. Ocean = play. Too bad Randi got stung by a sting ray while they were out there. And Barrett thinks she got nipped by a jelly fish too. Lots of sea life this year. I always wore my cute lime green water shoes when I went out, just to be safe.

In three more months we'll be right back here. Doing it all again for fall break!

3 comments:

  1. How could I be mad about my clean face picture when I look so dang amazing for an almost 38 year old! Ha. Anyways, thanks for taking such great pictures for memory sake. It was a great trip! We are already pining for October.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pics Kelli. Looks like another fabulous Carlsbad trip. Sad we couldn't be there this year. Next year for sure.
    By the way the next Hunger Games book comes out August 24th, its called Mockingjay. You can pre-order it at most book stores. I remember having funky dreams too when I was reading them. Sooooo good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish we all looked as gorgeous as Shari with no makeup! We had so much fun. I just love going there with all you guys. Even though we were way down far away from you....it was still a blast. Can't wait for October! Only a few more months!

    ReplyDelete