Sunday, October 23, 2011

Just Like Old Times

Not too many people are lucky enough to grow up on the same street with their cousins, let alone live in the same state with almost every single one of them and know them all - and know them well.  So I count myself among the luckiest.



I can't remember how many times I've told my kids stories about growing up on the farm, living on the corner of Harris and Hermosa Vista and always having my cousins around to play with in the summertime.  I have a lot of stories.  A lot of fond memories.  Well...this fall break was all about rekindling the best friendships with so many cousins and friends.  I was thrilled that our kids not only had a blast (as usual) hanging out with their first cousins that we see all the time, but that they also got to know and love their second cousins, the Chesleys, who came and spent the week with us.  What a blast - for me too!  Jules and I talked and laughed more than we have in years.  It was such a good time catching up and just enjoying a week of relaxation.  We are already looking forward to next year.

Tanner, Afton & Ty (they spent a lot of time playing at the beach - boogie boarding, paddle ball, football, long boarding)

Dad and Mom just chillaxing

The whole Chesley crew:  Taylor, Jules, Loren, Wyatt, Ty & Kylie

This is pretty much what Ryan did every day.  Just chilled.  Not too much else he could do on the beach with that cast.  So he read a lot and enjoyed the fabulous beach weather.  We only had one cool day all week and the rest of the week was totally clear and sunny.  Loved it, and loved getting a little October tan!  And I enjoyed reading and sleeping in and eating a lot...and oh, I loved the runs in the fantastic weather at sea level.  I had a 24-mile week and my Saturday long at the beach was an 11-miler, so I got to run through some super nice neighborhoods in Luecadia and check out the killer beach houses.  It was pretty sweet.


Easton was always busy at the beach.  I cracked up when he told me this fort was his "man cave."  I asked him where in the world he heard that expression, and he said, "Bryant told me."  Nice.

Speaking of Bryant, this may be the last fall break beach trip for Bryant since he'll be graduating in May and starting college next fall.  Holy cow, time flies too fast.

What cute girls we have!  Kylie, Taylor, Afton, Barrett & Randi


So glad the Berrey's came again this year too.  
(Afty & Lily playing in the sand)

Rowan and mom

Randi & Barrett

Wyatt

Molly Girl & Row

We also celebrated Barrett's 13th and Tate's 7th and Jayme's 34th birthdays while we were there (they all share October 13th). We started the celebrating early that day with an impromptu donut party at 8:00 am.  Loved the Luecadia Donuts and loved seeing the smiles on our kids.


Katy, Barrett & Randi

Barrett's friend, Katy Anderson, and her family also joined us at the beach for their first ever camping experience.  Not just first beach camping, but first camping.  Ever.  As in never ever before camped.  But they loved it and said they had a blast.  Katy's mom and I (both of us named Kelli) conspired and surprised our girls with Taylor Swift tickets for Barrett's birthday.  We just went Friday night to the show and it was so amazing.  A whole separate post about that to come...


My always-creative Afty Cakes made a sand/rock turtle at the beach.  I so love her and all the cool things she creates.

Buddy spent tons of time in the water after discovering this summer how much he loves to boogie board.

Trey & Rowan also rekindled their BFF relationship this trip. They spent so much time playing together and Trey got to stay over an extra day and hang with us when his family went home on Saturday morning.

Good times in Cali...again.  I love my family and loved our time together this year.

2 comments:

  1. That first pic cracked me up loved it, can't tell you enough how much fun we had and how thankful we were for the invite, getting back to reality has been harder than usual :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this beach trip! Such great weather and we got to know some good friends. It's always a blast having my birthday at the beach!

    ReplyDelete