Saturday, October 1, 2011

R2R 2011

I can do hard things.  And so can all these friends.  And we like it.  Really, really like it.  This is the whole kitten caboodle at the North Kaibab Trail head on Saturday morning, Sept 24th at 5:15am.  So cold, so dark, and we were so ready! This picture makes me happy.


Last weekend marked the, um... (make up a big number - I don't know how many years it's been) annual Goodman family Rim 2 Rim almost-marathon.  North Kaibab to Bright Angel.  24 miles.  One day.   Although I am not sure when the tradition really began, my Aunt Diane has pics from when her kids were young, and if my math is close, it probably started some 20-odd years ago, maybe longer. Since then, many a mile has been hiked or run by many pairs of strong feet and tired legs and wills and egos and hearts that keep pushing them along. I am happy to be part of this crazy tradition, although I am a newbie by all accounts.  Next year will be year three for me, but I already know I'm hooked for the long haul.  We made our 2012 reservations the day after :) And I can't wait till my kids are ready to make that journey with me.  I want them to love it too!

Before I really dive into my account of this year's adventure, here's the scoop on our 2011 group (which grew by leaps and bounds.)  

  1. Dale Goodman, my uncle (who celebrated his 65th birthday on Saturday, the day of our hike, and the man responsible for starting the September annual birthday tradition).  We love it!
  2. Jim Goodman, my uncle (who by his best account thinks this was the 16th time he's rocked the Canyon).
  3. Matt Goodman, cousin and many year R2R veteran
  4. Dyan Goodman Ricedorff, cousin - also rocked the canyon a number of times
  5. Kelli Goodman Brown (that would be me, 2nd timer)
  6. Ryan Brown, my rock star husband, also 2nd timer, who is now sporting a lovely red cast, courtesy of a lone dream-crushing trail rock around mile 7. More about that later.
  7. Luke Goodman, cousin, and 5:48 record finisher of the 2011 group (and a personal record too).  Seriously insane. He's my hero.
  8. Jodi Goodman, cousin, and also multiple year GC vet.  She's run so many distance races and hiked so many times in the GC that it's probably all old hat to her.  But I know she still loves it too!
  9. Craig Willis, cousin (his 4th R2R, but has been in the canyon lots more than that trekking many other trails, camping at bottom, etc.)
  10. Nick Willis, Craig's son, who also celebrated his birthday on Sept 24th.  He turned 19 and is getting ready to report on his mission to Mexico City next month.  He finished second behind Luke in 7 hours and change.  What a cool memory to take with you on your mission!
  11. Jeremy Platt - cousin-in-law, 2nd time R2Rimmer.
  12. Aunt Diane - supporter, great cheerleader, wife to Jim, mother to Jodi and Luke and driver extraordinaire!  We could never do this without our drivers!
  13. Steve Patience - friend, attorney, and long-time canyon vet
  14. Billy Rowley - good friend from our ward (and I think a 4th time R2Rimmer?)
  15. Karynn Rowley, Billy's 12 year-old daughter (1st timer)
  16. Chuck Melser - Billy's brother-in-law
  17. KaraLyn Melser - Billy's sister, Chuck's wife, and one of our awesome drivers
  18. Duane DeSpain - friend of the Melsers
  19. Royann DeSpain - friend of the Melsers
  20. Katy Vermillion - so full of energy and so crazy fun, fellow school teacher at Stapley Jr. High with Dale.  She did the GC with us last year too and his also hooked.
  21. Pam Sarbo - first timer, super cool, fellow school teacher at Stapley. She's in for 2012 too. 
  22. Ryan Alder - Ryan's best friend since junior high, first time R2Rimmer, and life saver for Ryan helping him get out of the canyon this year with his broken foot. He's IN for 2012.
  23. Richard Garner, my long-time friend from work (we worked together at EY for 7 years and now at Pivotal for the past 10 years). We are great friends with their whole family.  He's IN for 2012 too.
  24. Kourtney Garner - Richard's daughter, grad student at NAU
  25. Cami Hunt - Kourtney's roommate at NAU
  26. Sherry Brinkerhoff - Faie Solheim's SIL (Faie was going to do the hike too, but decided against it due to allergies during training).  But Faie drove up Friday and hiked down to Indian Garden to hike out with Sherry on Saturday
  27. Penny Bauer - good friend of both Dyan and me. First timer - she did so great.  She broke her knee a year ago and was using this trip for motivational rehab.  I think it did the trick!
  28. Dean Bauer - husband of Penny, driver of our cool huge rental van.  He also hiked down the last four miles and hiked out with Penny.

Dale thinks we might be getting a little famous. I think he might be right.  News of last year's R2R trip - with all the amazing accounts of good times and cherished memories and new friendships made and old friendships rekindled  - by all the terrific people who went, ignited a big spark.  Hence the growth from 10 last year to 28 this year.  Now, for 2012, pretty much everyone who went wants IN again, plus about 20 others.  Crazy!  

After I got a bunch of requests from everyone for next year's trip (already scheduled for Sept 28-29, 2012), I figured I better make a few more cabin reservations.  I had already booked six cabins - enough to accommodate 30 - the Monday after we got back.  But when I went to book more, I was only able to get one more Pioneer cabin and then they were ALL SOLD OUT!  And so were all the Western Cabins that sleep 4.  Already!  So I cobbled together a handful of the small Frontier cabins and motel rooms (sleep 2 and 3, but are more expensive per person) and thankfully we have enough procured for our giant group next year.  We're adding eight or nine more family next year, plus a bunch of friends.  Should be fantastic!  Now we just need to find a couple more drivers and get our rental vans reserved.

So here are the pics from the hike, with a little commentary about our adventure.  After meeting at Dale's house on Friday morning at 8:00, we loaded up the vans and truck and headed out for Flagstaff.  We picked up Kourtney and her roommate, Cami, in Flag at the Institute Bldg, and the other van (the Melsers van, who claimed they had the party van but couldn't have since WE had the party van :) picked Jeremy up in Cortis Junction (they are living in Prescott Valley). We all then reconvened at the Subway on the outskirts of Flag and enjoyed our lunch.  Next, quick stop at Cameron Trading Post for gas, potty, and a little bit of all too-authentic Arizona Souvenir shopping.  I indulged on another bag of magnetic rocks - a huge hit at the Brown house last year.

We made it up to the North Rim Lodge around 3:30 or 4:00, got all checked into our cabins (we had six cabins this year), then headed out to bask in the North Rim Awesomeness.  Hence the first pic below.  Truly awesome!

We had dinner reservations for 30 at the North Rim Lodge Friday night, but I was pretty disappointed that they broke our group up into tables of four.  That was lame, but they said they couldn't accommodate us all together.  Whatever.  How hard is it to push them together?  I volunteered, but they said no.  I am mostly miffed that they didn't even try.  They could have at least pushed us into tables of 12 or something.  Anyway, dinner was nice, then we enjoyed the sunset outside on the deck.  Here are some pics of our group (not all of us) as we enjoyed the beautiful night.


Jeremy, Matt, Dale and Dyan

Ryan Alder, Ry and Me

Kourtney and Richard Garner with Ry and Me

Love this pic with my cousins!  Jodi, Luke, me, Ry, Nick and Craig.  We seriously have the coolest family in the world!

This is the entrance to the Lodge, which is the only place to stay inside the Park at the North Rim.

Most everyone retired to their cabins by 8:00 or 9:00, and we all attempted to sleep.  I failed miserably.  I am one of those sleep anywhere, anytime, the bed doesn't matter kind of girls, but seriously, I couldn't have slept any worse.  I finally fell asleep around 11:45 but was rudely woken up at 2:15 when one of our rental tenants accidentally called Ryan's cell phone (which was on full volume).  I bolted up, and never fell back to sleep again.  I think it was the pre-hike excitement.  At least that's what I'm going with.

Anyway, we all got up around 4:00-ish, ate breakfast in our cabins, and then met at the cars to load up and pray at 5:00.  We were at the trail head at 5:15, all shivering in our short sleeves in the 40-degree windy morning, but somehow we got everyone to cram in for a super duper lightning speed photo op (hence the first pic in this blog).  As soon as the last flash went off, the first hikers/runners in our group were off.  Dashing down the hill in the dark with headlamps or flashlights.  I didn't even have my camera put away yet when they were gone, never to be seen again until we reunited at the South Rim.

We Goodman's are not competitive or anything :)

So the way it worked out, the first group of runners made it out of the gate like lightning (Luke, Jim, Jodi, Nick, and Craig), followed by our little group.  We ran/hiked together for most of the first seven miles.   This is Pam, Katy, Me, Richard, Ry, Matt, and (Ryan Alder Cami taking pics). Eight of us.  There were still half the group behind us.

Hiking along the north rim trail - so beautiful!

Our first stop at the Ranger Station (about 4 miles in).  Katy and Pam used the rest of my duct tape to ward off some would-be blisters, and we filled up our camelbacks and downed a quick snack.

I love the water all along the hike...the sound, the beauty.  So cool.

Katy, Pam and Matt

Quick photo op in front of the waterfall as we waited for Ry (who was the last to use the facilities at the Ranger Station).  We didn't see that he wasn't behind us until we'd arrived here.  Nobody wanted to wait since we'd just stopped at the Ranger station not too long before (again, not competitive or anything - heaven forbid we add another 5 minutes to our times...)   I told the group to go and and then I waited for Ryan.
And waited...close to 10 minutes.   Finally, he came running down the trail and almost passed me sitting on the rock waiting.  So I hopped up and we both started fast-footing it together and kept running until we caught up with everyone again at the next water spout. Sadly, not too long after that, we started the run again and that's when Ryan nailed a rock with his foot.  

At mile 7.  Only 17 to go.

So Ryan Alder and I stayed back with him and the rest of the group took off.  It was super slow going for a while, and I was thinking, "How in the heck are we ever going to make it out of here?"  I am sure he was thinking the same thing.  We had joked at dinner the night before about the $4000 air evacuation option, but never ever ever seriously thought it would come to that.  I asked Ryan if we needed to bust out the credit card, but he thought he could make it.  Not that we had any bars on the cell phone anyway, but in hindsight, I guess I could've just kept running to Phantom and called for the rescue copter from there I'm sure.  Instead, Ry just said, "What choice do I have?  I have to get out, right?"  So he loaded up on Motrin (prescription strength), got out his trekking poles for support - kinda like crutches - and just plunked one foot in front of the other.  None of us knew it was broken - kinda thought it was probably just badly bruised or something.  But eventually the pain meds set in a bit and he started to loosen up and was able to trot a little.  He actually said that was a little easier than the lopsided walking, so we trotted off and on.  We let him lead at his pace and we followed right behind.



We finally made it to Phantom Ranch (about 13 or 14 miles into the hike) and the rest of our group of 8 had already come and gone.   The gazelles in our group had long since come and gone, and we wondered if Luke was already out of the canyon enjoying some ice cream for brunch :) We knew that there were still about 10 in our group behind us, though.  We broke for a quick lunch and rest and re-fill on the water, but the quick break turned into a long one (a little over an hour).  Soon, we saw Chuck and Jeremy, and Duane and Royann, then Dyan, Dale and Penny all roll in to Phantom as we were getting ready to go.  As soon as we'd gotten to Phantom, Ryan made the huge mistake of taking off his shoe to give his foot a rest, and then the swelling really kicked it.  Especially after having it off that long.  He was hurting bad - so bad - as he tried to get his shoe back on and realized he was in way worse shape now.   We asked Ryan Alder (who runs an urgent care - he's a Nurse Practitioner), how long he needed to wait to take more Motrin.  He said, "Technically, 8 hours, but for you my friend, NOW."   It had only been 3 hours since his last prescription dose.

After Phantom, my doubts about any of us getting out before dark were increasing fast (and it was still morning).  He was hurting so bad.  He said every single step was so painful.  Every now and again he'd have an extra painful step and let out a groan - or maybe it was more like a caveman "UGHHHH!" Hard to say.  Once, he even picked up a rock and threw it in the stream.  Ryan A. and I were cracking up.  Ry said he just felt like throwing something.  Too funny.

So the pace was pretty slow - way slower than any of us wanted to go, but Ry knew he needed to keep going, and he did.  Such a stud.  Here are our pics from the Colorado River crossing.

Pretty cool bridge action!

Let the real hike begin!  It's pretty much uphill from here, baby!  Only about 10 miles and a zillion switchbacks to go!

Kisses from the river...trying to keep it fun.  Despite Ry's foot, he was actually still trying his best to enjoy the journey.  Such a good man.  He and Ryan A. have been best friends since long before I knew him, and they have all kinds of funny memories, inside jokes, and lots of shared music loves.  So with one ear bud in, and one out so we could all still talk, they laughed a lot along the way and talked about whatever tunes they were enjoying and always seemed to have a memory.  Such great friends.   I jumped up in front after the bridge in hopes of pushing the pace a little, and found myself pushing at a faster clip than Ry could keep up.  So I kept walking a few switchbacks ahead, then waiting for them to catch up.  I was jamming to my tunes and pretty much hiking solo, enjoying the scenery, saying hi to everyone I passed and taking all the pics.





The stretch from the river to Indian Garden was long and kinda brutal, just like I remembered it.  Hot, dusty, sandy, and did I say long?  Oh yes, I did.  Long.   Maybe because I was sort of hiking solo out in front of the two Ryans (with them still in view) just jamming to my mix,  it seemed like it took longer to get there than I remembered.  I don't know.  I kept thinking, "Hmmm, I don't remember those cool cliffs.  Hmmm...how come I don't remember this part?"  I had last year's vision of that relatively flat stretch with the stream running by on the right in my mind the whole time, because I distinctly remembered finding Matt there last year, left in the dust of Katy's flaming fast strides, looking beat red and defeated.  When I got to that spot this year, I dunked my head full-on in the water and it felt so incredible.  I waited there for the Ryans and then they did the same thing too.  Actually, my Ryan couldn't really get down too well with his foot, so I just soaked his bandanna for him a couple times.  Can't beat that ice cold stream water in that heat.

Anyway, that flat stretch with the water was my sign that we were getting close, so I kept hoping that after each turn, I'd see THE SIGN.

Just keep swimming...just keep swimming...

And then finally, this.

It's sort of a love/hate relationship with this sign.  Love, because the reality is setting in that you're almost there.  Once we hit Indian, it's all uphill, but only 4.5 miles out.  I can do anything for 4.5 miles.  That's not even a 10k.  That's shorter than my easy run day.  Piece of cake.

But the love kinda gets overpowered by the hate part because I think the sign lies.  That's the longest dang .3 miles of the canyon.  I know .3 miles.  It's from my house, around the corner and down Kael to the Thompsons.  I run it at the start of every stinkin' run day.  So when my mind told me that I should be there already and my GPS was also in cahoots with the dang sign, I was a little mad.  For the love of Pete, where the heck is Indian Garden?  But then out of nowhere, it was there.  

Taking a little rest with Chuck and the two Ryans.  We gave Ry strict instructions to NOT take his shoe off again, and he didn't.  Before we took off to start at it again, we met up with a bunch of our crew.
Chuck, Royann, Penny, Dyan, Ryan A. Dale & Jeremy in this pic - all resting at Indian Garden.  Last year, when we made it into Indian, there were people strewn out everywhere.  All the benches were full, and people were taking cover in the shade under all the trees.  Just a sea of strewn out tired bodies mustering up the strength to climb out.  This year, although there were a number of resters there, it wasn't nearly as crowded.

And then we took off and began the ascent.   Ry said he was ready.  His foot was killing him, but he knew he'd make it out.  He'd had all the medicine he should safely take, was filled with water and had a snack.   The two Ryans and Chuck and I started out, while everyone else finished their rest.  Still behind us was Dale, Dyan, Penny, Jeremy, Duane, Royann, Billy, Karynn, and Sherry.   I admit that I was anxious to get out.  I admit that I was disappointed that we had to walk all the flats after the dream-crushing rock foiled our plans.  And I admit that I wasn't the best wife.  I probably should've hung back and trekked the last few miles out with my husband and Ryan A.   After 14 or 15 miles of it, though, I finally gave into the urge to just push and not push and wait, and soon I found myself more than a few switchbacks ahead of the Ryans.  I kept them in my sights for a while (they looked like ants down the mountain since it's pretty much just a climb out, switchback by switchback.)  I stopped and waited a few times to make sure they were still pushing - and they were - and then finally I just decided to go.

On my way out, I passed Dean Bauer (he was hiking down to climb out with Penny) and then Faie Solheim and Joe B. (hiking down to climb out with Sherry), and then about a mile out, Karen Rowley (hiking down to meet Billy).  I was on a roll, just pushing up strong with my tunes and my poles.  Another hiker and I that kept passing off and on met up at the 1.5 mile water faucet and he asked where my group was.  I told him the quick story of our awesome 25-hiker group, that the gazelles were already done, led by my cousin Luke who had finished in 5:48 (he was super impressed) and that my husband was hopefully not too far behind with his gimpy foot and his best friend and 9 others in our group behind him.  He said he was left in the dust by his wife and her friends, all marathoners, who had long since gotten out.  They all had matching shirts and I saw them when I came out, sitting there waiting for this guy to surface.  Anyway, he was funny.  He was getting so tired and before I left, he asked, "Seriously, where the HELL is that shack?" (meaning the little shack at the top of the south rim.  We both laughed because we both knew that we still had 1.5 miles to go.

Just before I surfaced - literally, about 1 minute before I surfaced - I passed Steve Patience climbing out.  I didn't even see him but he called out to me as I passed.  And here I am - done and super happy to be out!
Everyone in our group was asking about Ryan and how he was doing and where he was.  I gave them the scoop and said, "I hope he's not too far behind.  I left him about 3 miles or so ago in the care of his best friend and with a posse of our clan behind them."  I knew he was in good hands.
Craig and Nick at the South Rim.  Nick had been out for 3 hours and Craig for a couple.

And then about 50 minutes after me, my Ryan and Ryan A. came out and got a huge applause! They made it.

With the love of my life at the South Rim

Thanks so much, Ryan, for hanging with my Ryan for the long haul.  You were a life saver!

About 15 minutes later, Dyan came out giving high fives to Karrie, who had driven up from Prescott Valley to meet Jeremy.

And then came Dale.  I love this part.  Love sitting at the top, watching your friends make their way out those last few switchbacks, and cheering them on as they surface.  As soon as Dale rounded the final corner, we all started singing Happy Birthday!  What a great memory!

Dyan, Dale and Matt at the South Rim

And here's most of our group at the finish, minus six that were still working their way out.  But we wanted to get a pic with as many as we could since Jim and Diane's truck was heading out with their 5 hikers.  We were just missing Penny, Duane, Royann, Billy, Karynn and Sherry.  What an awesome group of family and friends!  

This is my favorite pic - all the relatives together at the finish.  What great memories we will always have together.  It's kind of funny what doing something HARD together does for your relationship.  It's welds the bonds of love and friendship so strongly.  If they are not already family, all the friends we hike with are practically family after it's over.  And they always will be.

Dean and Penny at the finish!  She came out about an hour and 45 minutes after me and was still smiling, even though her knee was so sore and her two big toes were killing her.  What a cool accomplishment after having a broken knee one year ago.  Way to rock it, Penny!  And a huge thanks to Dean for driving our van and making that sacrifice for us.  We hope you guys come again next year!


Dyan, me and Penny

There's more to the story...more details to post, more thoughts swirling in my head, more that I should write.  But this post is already insanely long so I'll save it for another.  Just a quick update on Ryan.  After we finally left the South Rim (after ice cream and t-shirt shopping) and after we went to eat dinner at the cafeteria in Market Plaza, we went to shower up at Mather Campground.  Ry's foot was so tender and sore that he couldn't even make it back to the van on his own after showering.  He couldn't put any pressure on it at all and I knew it had to be broken.  And it was.  Broken 5th metatarsal.  Casted.  Surgery on Tuesday.  So crazy.  

He will forever be a R2R Rockstar.  A legend among us for hiking out 17 miles on a broken foot.  By the time he got out, he said his foot was almost numb.  By the time we got home late Saturday night (and he had ridden the whole ride home with his foot elevated on the seat), it was swollen and purplish red and so awful looking.  I'll post those pics separately.

So pray for him as he goes in for his surgery in a couple days.  He got a second opinion for another foot doctor who concurred that surgery was absolutely the best option, hands down. So Ry feels pretty good about it.  As good as he can, I guess.  He's sick of the crutches after 4 days.  He hates his green geriatric scooter.  But he's mastered the one-leg over the bathtub thing and he's been working out most every day still (no running obviously).  But the best part is, he's never doubted for a second that he'd be back next year.   

R2R 2012:  can't wait.

3 comments:

  1. Wow that was long, but you paint the picture so well that I feel like I was right there huffing and puffing it up those switchbacks. Ryan gets my vote for R2R MVP. It was good seeing you on Sunday and last week at the GC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Hiking the canyon with a broken foot? Now thats tough! Hope the surgery goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing!!! I love how many people went. I hope to join the group sometime. Such great pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete