Sunday, October 2, 2011

Status Quo

Scorpion slaying.
Hauling out the trash.
Pumping up bike tires.
Rearranging crap in the garage.
Carrying the ladder upstairs and changing out the air filters.
Saturday dish duty.

Generally husband jobs.

At least at my house.


Sure, I can do them and of course have done them all.   But you know how things just sort of evolve over time and one of you ends up pretty much owning a certain chore?  Just like it sort of evolves and becomes a given that you sleep on a certain side of the bed every night?  It's like an unwritten rule, but it's totally legit.

Well, our world is all shaken up at the Brown house.  Not only did the good husband abruptly decide about a month ago that he now wanted the left side of the bed instead of the right after 15 years of marriage (which was very strange - took some serious getting used to - and we still haven't switched over our night stands because I was kinda hoping it was a temporary thing.  I thought maybe he was just trying to prove a point that his side of the bed is sinking and lopsided and not as comfortable as mine and that we should go buy a new one.) But I've been sleeping great and so has he so maybe I need to move the night stands after all.  I think it might be permanent.

Anyway, I digress....

So this week, today in particular, I feel like our status quo is under attack.  Not deliberately, of course.  I mean really, it's not like Ryan went out and broke his foot on purpose.  It's not like he likes having broken foot.  Clearly, he's in bad shape.  Clearly, we all wish - especially him - that he wasn't going mobile on a green geriatric granny scooter and having to crutch his way around his world.  No doubt about that.  And thankfully, he's got the silver lining outlook on things.

But still, I couldn't help but think as I washed the umpteenth sink of dishes after cooking breakfast, lunch and dinner and changed out the laundry and picked up the daily clutter then funneled the littles in and out of the shower and then helped them prep their clothes for tomorrow and then slayed a scorpion as I was taking out the trash (again) and then hauling the ladder upstairs and then downstairs after changing the air filters and then rearranging the dad gum bikes in the way overcrowded garage to make room for said ladder....that I like the status quo.  I like having a partner.  I like that he is normally super duper helpful.  I like that we have shared responsibilities and that neither one of us has to do it all.

So here's to hoping for a speedy recovery for Ry after he gets his screw inserted into his bone on Tuesday.  May we both be blessed with an increased measure of patience during the recovery :)

No comments:

Post a Comment