Monday, December 14, 2009

Deep Thoughts

I've always been told that when inspiration comes or when you have a strong testimony strengthening experience, you should write it down. And write it down right away before you forget the vividness of the moment...

Last night as Ryan and I were winding down from a busy weekend, getting ready for bed and talking about the week ahead, we started talking about church. Specifically, what an awesome day at church it was. And then he said, "Man, hasn't it been a power-packed 4th quarter? It seems like every Sunday we come home talking about how great church was."

I couldn't agree more. I don't know if it's us just being extra receptive lately, or if everyone is leaving with the same feeling, but I have been so touched every week. My heart has been softened and my emotions are running so close to the surface when it comes to spiritual things. We've had great testimonies, powerful return missionary addresses, a phenomenal primary program, and awesome talks and lessons. As I was sharing my thoughts with Ryan last night about our Relief Society lesson, I started crying as I told him about the lesson and how strongly I felt the spirit in that room. I bore my testimony to him about my love for Joseph Smith and the amazing sacrifices he made so many years ago to bring to pass the restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ in these latter days.

In sacrament meeting, the young men and young women sang a beautiful musical number and tears started flowing right away. I looked up at those boys standing proud and singing loud, and I immediately had the strong impression that that will be Easton one day before I know it. And then I scanned the beautiful young women up there and realized that in 10 short months, Barrett will be joining them. Holy cow!
Corinne & J.R. were on for talks yesterday. I was giving them some grief last week that they'd been in the ward two whole months and hadn't even had to speak yet. We got asked to speak the first day we were at church. And I had a calling before I even went to church in our new ward. No joke.

I knew they'd get their turn soon. Corinne's talk was on the 13th Article of Faith. Her remarks were all tied together with a Superhero motif, which was very clever and articulate and perfect. She made analogies about superhero powers, duties, responsibilities, virtues, strengths, adversaries, and weaknesses, and tied them into the virtues spoken of in the 13th article of faith:

"We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men. Indeed we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul. We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things."

I typed that from memory...I'm pretty sure I got it right.

Anyway, it was an awesome talk! J.R. was next. His assigned topic: favorite stories of the prophet Joseph Smith. What a power-packed and testimony-filled talk he gave! I, of course, cried again (go figure), as he talked about the love of this prophet, the sacrifices he made, the busy devoted life he led from the time he was just a young boy, and the cruel death he suffered as a martyr. As soon as J.R. said "Amen," Ryan leaned over with glossy eyes and said, "Wow."

Exactly.

How appropriate it was that our Relief Society lesson was also on Joseph Smith this week. Specifically, his martyrdom. Faie Solheim gave the lesson and did a good job, but the real impact for me came when she talked about the time when Joseph & Hyrum Smith were in Carthidge jail in Illinois along with John Taylor, who later became the third prophet of the church. It was a hot, sultry day and the jailsman finally agreed to move the prisoners into another room with a window so that they could get a small breeze and breath of fresh air. With the window open, John Taylor began singing a cappela "A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief," one of the hymns now in our hymn book. Faie then said that John Taylor was with us today, and introduced Eric Shumway in our ward who came up and sang that same song for us.

A cappela.
Beautiful.
He teared up in the final verse and I was bawling.
What a day.

Of course, my head was pounding in the afternoon as it typically is on Sundays. Tears tend to do that. I'm sure that being extraordinarily tired had a little something to do with that too :)

Last night, since we already had all our family room furniture moved out for our Christmas party and the garage was already set up with tables, we had planned to do the annual Brown Family Christmas night.
A perfect combo of leftover Christmas party Mexican food delights, a very professional and super high quality re-enactment of the beloved Nativity (with all the kiddos in full costume), and...the 2nd annual gingerbread house throwdown.

Trifecta.

Such good times. I'll post the pictures and blog about that soon. I feel like I need a vacation to recover from the weekend though. Or maybe just a nice long nap!

2 comments:

  1. I love you Kelli...YOU ARE THE BEST!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it amazing how blessed we are. Thank you for the post. I needed to read that.

    ReplyDelete