Monday, December 7, 2009

The Update in Reverse


We had such a terrific weekend! Going in reverse, last night we enjoyed a nice family dinner Italian style (Afton's request) in celebration of Afton's 9th birthday. Yes, she is growing up fast. I was just telling a friend of mine at work about our weekend, and she was shocked that Afton was already nine. When I started working at Pivotal just after 9/11, she was only 9 months old. Man how time flies.

Both sets of grandparents, plus Afton's great Grandpa Reid and Aunt Krissie came over, along with Mike & Shari's crew and all of Ryan's siblings and their families. It was a full house for sure, but always good to get together. Sunday afternoon was nice...at one point, I found myself nestled next to my irresistably handsome husband in our rocking chair upstairs, just talking about our kids, the holidays, life. Just rocking and talking. It was nice. Church was great too, as it typically is these days. I really enjoyed sacrament meeting today and loved being in primary. Once again, I substituted a class, this time the Sunbeams. It was tiny - just Easton and his buddy, Garrett, but we had a good time. Sharing time was great. I cried as Cadi shared her thoughts about the Savior and his birth and life. The spirit was so strong in that room. We sang lots of Christmas songs - ones we don't often sing - all talking about the life of Christ. It was a good day for sure.

Saturday night Ryan and I went to the temple with many in our ward, and enjoyed a nice session, followed by a terrific holiday potluck of soups and salads at the LeSueur's house. Louisa's house is just amazing. Decorated to the hilt and so beautiful and fun. I made a super delicious tortilla soup (using Shari's recipe in the Enlightened Homemaker cookbook), and it turned out fabulous! That is definitely one I'll make more often. I just wish my kids liked soup a little more. I guess it's just a matter of making it more often so that they can learn to like it. Then again, I don't really remember eating much soup at all as a kid. Pretty much just chicken noodle when I was home sick, and stew when my mom made me. I hated stew. I still haven't grown to love it, although I don't mind it. I pretty much eat anything now. Maybe soup is "grown up" food. I don't know...

The earlier hours of Saturday included getting highlights and a trim a la Jayme. It feels good to hide hide the roots and be fully blonde again... And before that my madre and I went to the annual Desert Club Christmas Idea House in Gilbert where we toured the gorgeous home of Mr. Someburros (I don't know his real last name, but I love his restaurants!) There wasn't as much good stuff to buy this year, but the house was beautiful and gave me a few more ideas to put on the dream house list someday...Like four fire places and a private patio off the master suite :) It was so dang cold on Saturday morning (in the 30's when we left) that those fire places felt awesome! Ryan finished putting the lights up on the house and in the bushes. They look great! He is such a trooper to do that - our roof is so dang tall! I love the new twinkling snow flakes that we got for the front yard this year. Costco special. They have like 8 different blink/no blink/fade/dim/ chase/ sparkle settings, so we've been playing with them trying to figure out what we like best. The kids love them too. You can see our house lit up all the way down the street when you come in the gate!

Friday was Afton's actual birthday, and we celebrated with a little GNO. She and six girlfriends plus our crew went out to dinner at Red Robin, her favorite restaurant. We all ate way too much and loved every bite. Those steak fries are to die for. Then it was back home for presents, a fun gift exchange game with Webkinz (all the kids went home with one and loved it), then an ice cream sundae bar. I'll be posting pictures soon. So much fun. Afton is such a gem and such a blessing to our family. She has a heart of gold and such a desire to do good.

1 comment:

  1. I would like the soup recipe when you get a chance. I think soup is a grown up food. My kids won't eat it but I love it.

    ReplyDelete