Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Angel vs. Devil

GOALS:
It's almost race time again. I'm checking one off the 2010 goal list: Run in at least 3 races this year. Setting goals keeps me focused. It helps me to shake off the devil sitting on my shoulder in the wee hours of the cold morning. You know that guy that whispers, "You don't really want to wake up now, do you? It's dark and cold outside and your bed is so warm and comfortable. Just turn off your alarm and go back to bed. No one will care. No one will know."
Does that guy visit any of you or does he save it all up for me?
Thankfully, with the goals written down, and discussed with family and friends, I have a little positive self-inflicted pressure to keep the momentum moving forward. The angel sitting on my other shoulder, dressed in warm jogging clothes, ear warmers, gloves, pink ipod, and my favorite Asics shoes has been winning out over that terrible devil. Mostly. She's the one telling me, "Just get up. It's not that bad. Who cares that it's pitch black outside and 45 degrees? Get dressed like me and let's give it a whirl!"
Running is so MIND OVER BODY.
I am just grateful that 1) I live in AZ and the winter weather is so mild compared to most other places in the country, and 2) that I only work part time so some days I do get to run after the sun comes up. Like yesterday. I did my 5 miles at 7:30 am, and even though I could see my breath in the chilly clear air, the sun was up and it was a glorious morning by all accounts. Clear, crisp, beautiful.
Saturday morning, 8:00 am, Schnepf Farms in Queen Creek will be home to London's Run for the fourth year in a row. Proceeds from the event will benefit children's charities. There's a half marathon, 10k, and 2 mile fun run. Something for everyone.
I am looking forward to running. My cousin, Dyan, and her husband Ryan are running the half. I'm just doing the 10k this time. I've been running consistently since my last races in November, but not tracking up the same kind of mileage as I was before. Typically, I've been tracking 4-6 miles each running day. In hindsight, I kind of wish I'd kept up my half marathon training routine and was ready to run another half on Saturday. But again, it's all about the goal. Without that goal set firmly in sight, I didn't push.
I just reconnected with an old friend of mine from our high school years. Stacey Skeen. We grew up in the same neighborhood together and worked at DQ together too. Well, we found each other on Facebook, and I was checking out her photos and profile page. She looks so amazing! She's 3 years younger than I am, has four kids, been married 14 years, and just ran her 9th marathon! Yes, 9th! And she qualified for the Boston Marathon again this year. And a week after her last marathon, she ran a half marathon in 1:35. Holy cow! That's some serious speed! So she's my new running icon. That's just amazing.
Saturday morning, my SIL Shari will be running the 10k too, and this is her first race ever. So exciting! I hope she does great!

No comments:

Post a Comment