Friday, January 22, 2010

The Hill I'm Climbing


My week just seemed to fly by. I know...what's new, right? But seriously, just FLEW! I haven't even felt like I've had a free moment to breathe let alone blog all week. In reality, I have had plenty of free moments...I've just chosen to do other things with them. Other things that have seemed more pressing I suppose.

I did steal a few hours on Tuesday to do some much anticipated reading while I was traveling to and from Park City on business. I started Sarah Palin's Going Rogue in early December and was loving it, but ended up putting in on hold over the busy holidays. I've been itching to pick it back up and learn more about that amazing woman. That's a whole post in and of itself. I'd like to say I'll be done with her autobiography this weekend, but I know I won't take the time to read it again until after I've tackled some of my "big rocks". I seem to view leisure reading as a reward for finding free time in my life, so it may be another week or more before I finish it off. I did get another 150 pages or so read on Tuesday and now think that Ms. Palin is even more amazing.

I think I'm sort of in a little funk too. I have a few big things weighing on my mind...you know...those monumental to-do's that seem to consume more than their fair share of your brain power. And until you feel like you've tackled them, it's hard to focus on much else? Ever feel that way? Well that's me right now. I wouldn't say overwhelmed, because I'm really not there yet. And I usually don't let myself feel overwhelmed. It's such a negative and all-consuming state of mind. One that often paralyzes you into inaction. Perhaps preoccupied or a little less in command might be a better way to describe it.

So amidst the typical busyness of daily life, motherhood, work, homemaking, church service, and all else that folds into our daily paths as women, I've been brainstorming and scheming and planning and tackling and maybe even worrying a little...

With a bunch of CPE renewal hours to finish up for my bi-annual CPA recertification coming due at month end, a 10k next Saturday, 1099's due for our subcontractors at month end, planning our Ward Adult Valentine's Party on Feb 13th, and the beginnings of planning our 20 year high school reunion, I'm trying to keep the scales in balance. And of course, there are all those other, smaller "to-do's" that are begging for my attention too. Things like helping Barrett plan and execute the creation of a scale model castle for her ELP class, finishing up a quilt I really want to finish that's sitting half done, catching up on office work, and working on closing out year end stuff in our financial life to name a few.

The next couple of weeks will be busy for sure. But we'll get through them, and hopefully have some good times to remember along the way. I still have much to be grateful for. The kids are all pretty much back in good health (hopefully no more pink eye around here for a long, long time). We've been blessed with incredible amounts of rain this week. I've somehow managed to keep my 2010 goals going strong, and really...I am so happy. It seems like we're working twice as hard for half as much as we were in the really good economic years, but we both have jobs and plenty of food on the table. And then some.

So no complaints. The hill I'm climbing might seem a little steeper than normal, but I'll make it up and over soon, and find my way to a more comfortable pace very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment