Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Post Script to LIVESTRONG blog

A good friend of mine came up to me at church on Sunday and said, "You know that the whole "LIVE STRONG" campaign that you blogged about is Lance Armstrong's Foundation slogan, right?"

Um...no. No idea. Just saw it on an awesome Nike shirt at the running store last year, loved it, had to have it, adopted it as my personal slogan for 2010. So we laughed and I said I'll have to add a follow up to my blog post.

So I googled it. Yep, Lance Armstrong, the famous Tour de France winning bicyclist, has a foundation benefiting cancer research and cancer survivors. LIVESTRONG is their motto. It's everywhere. Apparently he's the guy that started the yellow wristbands and came up with the killer tagline. Not some female marketing exec at Nike (although who's to say that his wife or his hired female marketing genious wasn't the one behind the slogan, eh?) Just kidding.

So I live in a bubble apparently and clearly do not follow cycling. But now I love the slogan even more knowing its roots and its plea for good cause. And part of the sales proceeds from my most favorite LIVESTRONG black t-shirt with the yellow NIKE swoosh went to benefit good things...

That's pretty cool considering how many people I know who are battling cancer right now or who have already fought the battle. The numbers are staggering. It seems like everywhere I turn, I learn of someone else who has cancer. We lost three family members to cancer last year. Ryan's dad is a recent survivor, and so is my Aunt Diane. But she lost one of her sisters to the battle not too many years ago. My Uncle Jim is fighting hard against his cancer and seems to be winning his battle too. Unfortunately, Ryan's best friend's father is not beating his, and neither is our next door neighbor's father. It's everywhere.

So go buy yourself a LIVESTRONG shirt or wrist band or something and make a small difference. Or make a big difference in the lives of your family by living strong every day and staying cancer free!

1 comment:

  1. I will buy a LIVESTRONG t-shirt. What a great slogan it is!

    ReplyDelete