Sunday, August 7, 2011

Cabin Summer Finale



We were on the schedule to spend one more summer weekend at the cabin before school started (July 29-31). But for some reason, I was having a hard time committing to go. Maybe it was the fact that Ryan wasn't going with us (he was still on his boys backpacking trip), or maybe it was that we'd been in limbo with my Grandpa Harry for a couple of weeks, not knowing how much longer he'd hold on. Or maybe I was just "tripped out" from all the packing and unpacking and laundry, etc. from the summer travels. I don't know. But I am so glad that we went. So glad. It was really a nice, relaxing weekend. Fantastic weather. Great family time. And the kids had a blast with their cousins, as always!



Barrett, Easton, Molly Johnson, Rowan, Afton, Avery Brown, Lily & Ella Berrey, & Lainey Brown playing down at the creek. Rock hopping, bug collecting, exploring, dreaming...Just like I used to do. But many of the Pine Creek memories of my youth revolve around water. Too bad it seems like the creek is dry so often these days. Every time we round the bend just before the big tree with all the family name signs leading to the cabin, my kids excitedly ask, "Is there any water in the creek?" They love that creek, wet or dry, and seem to find countless hours of joy down there every time we go. Reminds me of someone I know...


I'm not sure what Buddy was spitting at - maybe a butterfly or june bug or just a little old fly. He cracks me up.


Tough duty being a kid...


My cousin, Corinne, with baby Reid (named after my Grandpa Reid of course), strolling down Walnut Lane in front of the cabin. We love the Berreys and are so glad they came up to play with us.







I took the kids up the mountain to hike the trail on Saturday afternoon. They all did great (well, except for the two that decided to turn around and come back before we really even made it 100 feet).


(Avery, Lily, Afton & Riley)





Afton & Avery with the snail collection. I'd say it was cool, but honestly, I think those little suckers are just super gross. The kids were loving the rain we had, since it made the ground nice and juicy and ripe to dig up slugs and snails and worms. Pretty much kid heaven I suppose.



Easton & I had fun making a domino trail after we played a game of Mexican Trains. He's actually pretty good for a 5-year old. And too funny...his giggle is truly contagious.






Grandpa Steve made his famous home made ice cream again (both Friday and Saturday night). I think we should make that a cabin tradition (hint, hint...) After busting out the ice cream maker over the July 4th weekend, I've been thinking about that delicious homemade concoction a lot. There's nothing quite like homemade vanilla. Grandma Cindy whipped up the delish recipe and Grandpa did the churning. Well, it wasn't hand cranking like in the olden days, but he babysat the batch, kept it iced up, and gave Easton a chance to work alongside his grandpa. I loved having home made ice cream growing up - especially with the Mexican vanilla - and nothing's really changed about that. My mom & dad are still pros.




Good times at the cabin...once again! I'm not sure if we'll make it back over Labor Day or not (we may take the kids camping) and since Fall Ball is starting in a few weeks, our Saturdays will be busy for the next couple of months. So I don't know when we'll be back. Hopefully soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment