Saturday, March 6, 2010

Spring Fever


I've had it all week. The fever. The itch to get things cleaned out, organized, simplified. Thursday it was the toy closet and all the toy containers. I somehow managed to get two huge garbage bags filled and in the dumpster without the kids melting down about their "most favorite toys ever" being trashed. You know those ones, right? The ones that sit buried in a pile or hidden under a bed for an eternity...never being missed...until the moment when Mom proclaims them either garbage or DI donate-able. Suddenly they become the long lost favorite that they cannot live without.

Anyway, it was sort of a catharsis shedding so much unnecessary stuff. Now that we really only have 2 toy playing peeps, hopefully I can keep getting rid of a bag here and there and pare the toys down to a minimum. With four kiddos, they've sure piled up. It seems like I keep getting rid of them but the pile never dwindles much.

Yesterday, I tackled Rowan & Afton's room. Again. Holy cow. It makes me crazy. They accumulate so much junk it's insane. Random trinkets from birthday parties, dollar store treasures, boxes, Webkinz, craft supplies...oh, the things I find under their beds. You don't want to know. It was so nice getting it all cleaned out while they were at school and unable to defend the sanctity of their treasures. Much was discarded. But I bought each of them a new under-the-bed container and filled it with all the stuff I thought they might die without. You know - the marbles, the princess lip gloss set the collection of sea shells, the gel pen set, the countless money containers....I labeled each box with their name and I called it their "box of randomness." They both laughed.

And I rearranged the furniture. They were so excited when they got home. A fresh, clean room with a whole new look. Moving furniture makes me happy. I think I get that from my mom.

So today I did the miscellaneous de-cluttering of all nooks and crannies. Those "hot spots" that seem to accumulate piles of stuff that at one point seems too important to toss yet too unworthy for a special trip to the place where it rightfully belongs. Much was finally tossed or filed or relocated to its permanent home. And after I got home from a good long run and early morning softball practice with the girls, I mopped the floors...really really mopped...while Ryan took them all away to yet another ball practice.

So I am feeling an oddly wonderful sense of joy every time I walk through my downstairs and see NOTHING. Nothing on the counters. Nothing on the floor. Nothing in the sink. Pure nothing. And it smells like cider spice from my awesome Scentsy candle. Pretty much heavenly down there. Ya, I know it will only last a few more hours, but for now, I'm lovin' it. I know that there is still so much to do. My scrapbook/sewing room upstairs needs some love. And the garage...oh, don't get me started. I've pretty much declared that "husband territory" and left its organization up to him. But lately, the chaos of the garage has multiplied and it's time for a good clean. I might have to tackle it myself. The husband is beyond swamped with all the balls in his air.

Unfortunately, all the joy from Thursday's organized toys has dissipated now that the kids have had their way with them for 24+ hours and started mixing them all up again. But that's what they do, right? Dump, mix, repeat. And that's why we have them...I suppose. Although I still think the toys are much more useful all nicely tucked into their labeled containers and perched on the shelves.

Silly me.

1 comment:

  1. I call you can come to my house next. I'm getting the itch too, but my little ones are always with me and dump everything out as I bag it up. Funny thing, I have to do the same thing with Jeremy sometimes:)

    ReplyDelete