Tuesday, March 2, 2010

What's For Dinner?



At 9:30 this morning, I found myself lingering in the pantry, then the food storage room, then back to the pantry. Open fridge. Stare. Think. Back to the food storage room. My wheels were spinning as I contemplated what to fix for dinner tonight. I had a bell pepper and onion that needed to get used, so I finally decided on stuffed shells. It's one of my favorite Italian dishes and I haven't made it in a while. As I went to the outside freezer to grab some Italian sausage, I started second guessing my decision wondering how long frozen meat stays good. Is it a year? Or less? Or more?
My sausages were frozen in August, but for some reason they looked less than appealing and I wondered if they got a case of freezer burn or something. After a call to my mom for some freezer advice and a second look at my mediocre looking links, I tossed them.

So I opened the fridge again and those fresh corn tortillas I bought over the weekend were calling my name.

Switch gears. Back to the food storage room. Time to use some of my fresh bottled beef.

Now I am super excited for dinner and it's not even lunch time. I just finished whipping up a big casserole dish full of green chili beef enchiladas. Can't wait to dive in with some black beans, shredded lettuce, and a batch of tomatillo salsa I'm about to concoct. That cilantro can't be left in the drawer another day. It's begging to be eaten!

So what's cookin' at your house?

In case any of you are itching to make some magnificio green salsa to pair with those guilty chips, here is the recipe:

1 28 oz. can tomatillos, drained
1 bunch of cilantro, no stems
juice of lime
1/4 cup sugar
6-7 jalapeno pepper slices (or 1 whole pepper)
salt to taste

Add all ingredients in the blender and pulse a few times until mixed. Chill and serve with chips.

I made about 8 batches of this stuff two weekends ago for the Relief Society Mini Conference and I've been craving it ever since.

P.S. Did I mention I love to eat?

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. I could drink that stuff it's so good. Im excited to make it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What time is dinner? I want to come over!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds so yummy, I love tomatillo salsa with lots of cilantro and lime.

    ReplyDelete