Monday, November 2, 2009

Let the Countdown Begin


If you go into any store today, you’ll know that it’s officially Christmas season in the retail world. Actually, Christmas season started a few weeks ago gauging from the lights, trees and ornaments that have been for sale since mid-October. The kids and I were at Sam’s Club briefly on Saturday, and they were confused by all the holiday décor. “Mom, why are there trees and lights out already? It’s only Halloween!”

Aaaahhhh. To be a child again. When the days until Christmas seemed to last longer than ever. When time didn’t mean much, if it meant anything at all. When the only big decision weighing on our youthful minds was what to put on the Christmas list that year.

My SIL, Jayme, put her tree up already. Don’t go check your calendar. Yes, it is only November 2nd. She and her hubby love love love the holiday season, so they make it last. They decorate early and leave the tree up late into the new year. Kinda fun actually. I’m all in favor of decorating early too, but I’ve never gotten it done that early. Maybe this year we’ll get the tree up the week before Thanksgiving instead of the weekend after. I think that will be my goal.

I too love the holidays. Thanksgiving Day at my mom’s house is always such a great time. She sets up 5 or 6 round tables in her garage (which, by the way, was recently painted and newly appointed with an epoxy floor finish that looks awesome!), and all our family comes to eat. Of course, the dinner is spectacular – a feast worthy of awards – but that isn’t even the best part. The best part is after the dinner, when we all sit outside, enjoy the typically beautiful Arizona weather, watch the kids ride skateboards and bikes, play tag in the front yard, shoot hoops, laugh, run, run, run, run…And we all sit around just visiting, grateful to be a part of such an amazing family, thankful for the countless blessings in our lives. And then there’s the pie.
Oh, the pie!

Then we do it all again with Ryan’s extended family later in the day. Different venue for many years, but the last few have all been at Ryan’s Aunt Terri’s house in Gilbert. She lives right across the street from a great park, so the kids also get to run free after the food is shoveled in. We’re more than stuffed after Round Two, but it’s all good.

When else do you get to sample all five kinds of pie and no one blinks an eye?

It’s a good thing that I’ll have gotten a 700 calorie burn done with the Turkey Trot 10K before the feasting begins. Kinda sad to think that 6.4 miles of solid running will really only burn off 2 pieces of pie at best. Really makes you think about what goes into the ol’ mouth…

So the season is upon us…no doubt about it. I am hoping that this holiday season will be a great one for our family.
Extra special family nights.
My crew cheering me on at my races.
The kids’ Primary Sacrament Meeting Program.
Temple lights and Bosa Donuts.
Reenacting the nativity.
Gratitude lists.
Service.
Gingerbread House Throwdown.
Christmas parties.
Cookie baking.
Good church lessons.
Tree decorating.
Piano, guitar and violin concerts.
Reindeer names.
Shopping and wrapping.
A couple of December birthdays thrown in the mix.
And the list goes on…

And oh ya…did I mention that I’d like to try and simplify this year?

I’ve still got some grandiose ideas for heartfelt homemade gifts buzzing around in my brain. Maybe they’ll translate to the real deal if I get a move on now.

But no matter how busy or relaxed the next couple of months turn out to be, the holidays will be great because I have my health, my family, my life, my testimony, my Savior. I can hardly wait!

1 comment:

  1. Maybe this will be the year we keep our tree up all year long!! :) I have everything up....just need some new decorations to add to our decor.

    ReplyDelete