Friday, November 13, 2009

The Race: 22 hours away

I am super duper excited for the race tomorrow. I feel ready. I've got lots of good friends and my peeps thinking fast thoughts for me. I posted a comment on FB the other day about getting excited for the race, and had a ton of nice comments in return from my FB friends. My cousin, Heather, asked me last night on Facebook if I was nervous or just excited. I'm pretty sure it's just excited. Really, I don't have anything to be nervous about. It's not like I'm trying to win a medal or place in the top 3 of my age bracket or anything close to that. I'm just running for me. It's been a really great thing for me - having this half marathon as a goal, that is. I've stayed focused and committed to my training schedule. I haven't missed a workout in 3 months. And the real bonus is that my beheiny is actually shrinking a little and my back fat is nearly gone. Amazing! Still have quite a way to go to look cute in those blinged up little designer jeans that I've never purchased...They're calling my name but my behind has been talking sense into me for too long now, saying, "Wait! You want to look cute in those if you buy them! We gotta shrink first!!!" Too bad I'm losing a little fat in some of the more important places too (like the boobs). I guess that's a side effect of losing a little weight, eh? The stored fat goes first...Sorry, this is probably TMI.

But after this race and the Turkey Trot 10k on Thanksgiving, I'm pretty sure I'll keep this running thing up, probably mixing back in some of my favorite P90X workouts to tone my core and arms (which I've been really really neglecting!) This whole fitness thing I've been into for the past year and a half has really helped changed my lifestyle. I'm more conscious about what goes in my mouth (mostly), more focused on getting enough rest (mostly) and more desirous to be fit. I'll still never pass on a Krispy Kreme, though. That's just going too far. Life is too short and wonderful to miss out on donuts. I was telling some friends last week that I think I can actually say that I'm enjoying running now. I never thought those words would come out of my mouth, but it might just be the case. It's sort of addicting. The sense of accomplishment, health, overall well-being I get from running is having a pretty amazing effect on me. So weird, I know. I look back at my earlier posts at the beginning of my training schedule where I was struggling so much. I think I've come a long way. Our bodies are amazing, that's for sure.

So I pray that tomorrow will be a good run day for me. The temperature is supposed to cool down quite a bit, which is great since I like running when it's cold (at least cold for us Arizona girls. It's supposed to be in the 50's tomorrow at 7:00am). My lungs and heart feel strong. I hope the legs follow suit and do their job tomorrow. I'll post the results for sure! Although my goal has always been just to finish the race and chalk this one up as "done", I've started to feel a little more competitive lately and now am striving to finish in under 2 hours. That translates to running 9 minute miles for the whole 13.1 mile race. For all those amazing marathon gurus and those with fire in their wheels (I know quite a few friends and family in this camp), that's nothing to speak of, I know. But for me, I think that would be a pretty good clip. I've done most of my long runs at that pace or close to, so I think it's doable. I'll know 24 hours from now when the race is over!

Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck. I hope to see you there. You will do good. It is amazing how addicting working out can be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your going to do great Kelli. You have been working so hard and it will pay off. I can't wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete