Sunday, November 29, 2009

Turkey Trot 2009


Here's the digital documentary of our 2009 Trot.   With the holidays in full gear, there's probably not a great chance that I'll get to making a little movie of this year's event.  At least not anytime soon.  Ryan and I were both excited for the race.  Don't we look happy? :)



I was so proud of Afton and Barrett for participating this year too.  Here are my beautiful girls right before their 1 mile Fun Run.  Rowan and Easton had a sleepover at Grandma Cheri's house on Wednesday night and stayed with her while the four of us went to the race.  



Morgan ran the 2-mile race.  He and Ryan are both just getting into running recently, which I think is awesome!



Jessie took her 3 girls and my two on the 1 mile race.  Jolie even went along in her stroller.  It was fun watching them come across the finish line and get their finisher's ribbon.   GIRLS ROCK!


I saw two of my fabulous cousins, Jodi & Dyan, after the race.  I love that we all ran!  None of us beat the turkey, but that's OK.  Jodi was home from law school for the holiday weekend. Dyan and I did the half marathon together a couple of weeks ago.  Yay for the Goodman girl cousins!  Note to Karrie:  get ready for next year.  We missed you!

My Stats:

2689 10k finishers
1421 of them female
I finished 215 out of 1421 women (15th percentile)
I finished 34 out of 211 women age 35-39 (16th percentile)
Finish time:  53:41


Our crew after the race.  


Morgan & Jessie & girls after the race


So we don't look quite as fabulous after the race, but we still look happy, right?  Man, I thought the race was tough this year.  I was hoping that after training for 3 months and running the half marathon 12 days earlier that this would seem like a walk in the park.  NOT!  I struggled between 3 and 5 miles so much more than I thought I would.  Ironically, I felt way better running my half marathon a couple of weeks ago.  At the Trot, my chest was still burning a little and feeling weak from the cold crap I'd been fighting all week and it was TOO DANG HOT!  They really really need to start the race an hour earlier.  Starting at 9:00 on a sunny day like this year's Turkey Day is just too late.  And they needed one more water station!  I can't remember the last time I ever felt so thirsty.  Seriously...I was just dying of thirst at 3.5 miles and it seemed like an eternity from the 2 mile marker to just past 4 miles where the next water station was.  AND...(yes I am whining), I know I lost about 20-30 seconds on my time waiting for water at 2 of the stations.  I know they are volunteers, so I should just shut my trap and be grateful.  Perhaps there were just more runners than expected or someone called in sick :), but the stations were understaffed and way behind.  Instead of having a line of people there with their arms out offering cups of water (as is customary in a race), many of us runners had to wait for a cup of water to be poured.  The crews were frantically pouring water as fast as they could, but it wasn't fast enough.  Too bad.  I hope it's better next year.

In the end, I still had a pretty good time (53:41), which is just a few seconds better than last year's time.  I was hoping to beat my last year's time by a little more (like do it in 52 minutes).  It was just one of those sub-par running days, physically speaking, where I certainly felt less than 100%.  We all have those days I know.  I'm just glad that we all ran it and finished and created some great memories doing it!  I am already looking forward to a few years from now when all 6 of us can do it together!


Ryan and Barrett together after Ryan crossed the finish line.  He did great for just training 2 weeks.  He finished in 1:05.



Afton, Lainey, Avery &  Afton: our junior trotters


Morgan & Jessie & crew, along with Jessie's brother, Dallas Woolf, and Jessie's dad, Mac Woolf.  Dallas ran it in 50 minutes and change, which was good enough to beat the turkey this year.  We were joking on Thanskgiving night that the turkey was slow this year (you usually have to run it around 45 minutes to beat the turkey).  My theory was that the turkey was dying of heat stroke in that costume.  I can't even imagine!

2 comments:

  1. good job Ryan,Kelli,Barrett and Afton...loved the pictures! Rita says she's in next year too so another Goodman girl :) maybe your mom will too??!

    ReplyDelete