Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Ready to Trot

Tomorrow at 9:00 am, this will be the guy to beat. Well, not exactly this guy, but some real guy dressed up like this turkey. It's time for the Trot. The Turkey Trot, that is. Practically speaking, chances are slim to none that I'll actually run faster than the turkey. He's got some wheels. He usually finishes in 45 minutes or less. Last year, I ran it in 53 minutes and change and I was pretty happy about that. So some amazing force from beyond would have to propel me to even get close to his mark. That's OK. I'm not really trying to beat him anyway, although I would score a free turkey if I did! I'm hoping that whatever this chest congestion crap is that I've been fighting off will finally kick the bucket tonight so I can feel 100%. I've been saying that now for 3 or 4 days, though, and it's still lingering. I'm just feeling wheezy with a heavy chest. Lots of OJ and water. Good sleep. I'm gonna kick it.

I did some checking online, and there have been about 2,200 runners in the 10k race each of the last two years, pretty much equally split between men and women. But there are at least a couple thousand more there with the 1 mile and 2 mile races, plus all the family and friend supporters. It's a pretty big Turkey Day shindig. We'll run into a ton of people we know for sure. I'm hoping to find some of my cousins that I know are running the 1ok race too: Dyan, Ryan R., Karrie, Jodi, Willy that I know of for sure. And I'm really excited that my Ryan has decided to run. He hasn't really been training very long, but he bought himself a new pair of running shoes after my half marathon race, and he's been out running a half dozen times or so over the past few weeks. He's just excited to be doing it and enjoying the good exercise. We'll both be burning a few extra calories tomorrow to make room for the pie :)

And I'm also excited that Barrett & Afton are doing the 1-miler with their cousins. I think it's great to teach our kids early the importance of being fit. I hope they have a great first race experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment