Saturday, February 6, 2010

The Backyard Campout


OK, I'm just going to flat out brag. My husband rocks! Seriously rocks.

This morning, for the sixth day of Valentine's, he made me breakfast in bed. Yes, really. But that is not even what I'm bragging about. (Okay, maybe a little.)

Here's the real reason I'm tootin' his horn tonight:

Last night, he took the kids camping. In the backyard. They have been stoked about it all week long. First, it was dinner and dessert at Nielsen's Frozen Custard, then they came home and set up a huge tent out back. They pulled every conceivable blanket and sleeping bag we owned out of the closets and shelves, and made killer beds. Unfortunately, they had technical difficulties with the movie set-up (and I was at the office working so I couldn't come to the rescue), so they skipped the movie and had more treats. Oh by the way - he gave each of them a glow stick too. And if you have kids, you know there's something magical about that little glow stick. It's just a stick of pure happy.

No one wandered in during the night. No one wet the bed. No one was cold. At 7:00 am, the troops came inside and made breakfast. Success.

BUT...as if that weren't enough, Ryan said that they could do it again tonight! They have been so excited again all day. He took them to the dollar store (one of their favorite treats) and to Blockbuster to choose their flick for tonight. We got through dinner, baths, teeth brushed, potty. Now all four of our peeps + one terrific Dad are outside, zipped inside the tent, watching the latest Ice Age movie (I lost track of which number we're on. Maybe Ice Age 3?) And their movie set up is awesome. I hooked up my laptop this time and we connected some extra speakers for that in-theatre experience. Movie theatre style.

So as I zipped them all in and blew them some kisses, I got a bunch of thank you's and I love you's from the crew. They are so stinkin' cute.

And I am married to one incredible guy.

P.S. If you are wondering why I am not in there camping too , I'm trying to catch up on life and tackle a couple of projects that have been on my plate for too long. But I couldn't resist the urge to sneak in a quick blog first. Gotta run!

3 comments:

  1. I am very proud of my brother...he is such a great guy! Sounds like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for coming out for the baptism last night. I love seeing you guys.

    Happy Camping!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YOUR WHOLE FAMILY IS SO "STINKIN' CUTE"....LOVE THAT YOU LIVE CLOSE AND WE GET TO SEE YOU OFTEN !!!

    ReplyDelete