Monday, February 22, 2010

My Garden

Yesterday was a good Sunday. Actually, they are pretty much always good for me. I love that at the end of what typically seems to be a crazy busy week, we get to have a day of rest. A day with no shopping, no errands, no email. A day with the kids all at home with us together. A day to worship and renew. A day of peace without all the normal demands of “life” pulling us in every direction. I am grateful for the precedent set in the beginning with the Creation: Christ created the world in six days, but on the seventh day – the Sabbath Day – he rested from his labors. Truly, the Plan is divine.

Perhaps now that my youngest is four and we are pretty much past the stage of wrestling with restless kids and constantly pleading for reverence, I truly enjoy all my meetings. I don’t always enjoy the hour before church as we hurry to get ourselves ready while working to ensure four peeps are fed, combed, brushed, and polished up in their Sunday best with a few minutes to spare. Miraculously, we’re almost always on time. And sure, we have the occasional Sacrament Meeting meltdown when one kid has usurped the treasured red crayon that the other was using. And there are certainly times when one clever child has successfully snuck candy into their church bag and is refusing to share with the less resourceful siblings resulting in mini-volcanic eruptions. But mostly, mostly, they sit pretty quietly and at least act like they’re listening.

I have always loved going to church. Really. Always. Even when I was a teenager and young adult when some find reason to miss at will, I just always felt like it was the place I needed to be on Sunday. There were times earlier in my life when I wasn’t always walking straight on the path that I needed to be on, but still, I’d be there on Sunday trying to fill my cup and straighten my gait.

Because I don’t have a Sunday calling now (I’m the ward activities director), I get to attend both Sunday School and Relief Society and be a sponge. I’m soaking it up. Our gospel doctrine teachers are both outstanding, so I feel like I am really progressing in my learning. And of course – I love the Relief Society lessons. They are always so good.

But yesterday, I had one of those little tender mercies that made my Sunday a little extra great. My little man, Easton, who is only four, was asked to give the talk in primary. He came home last week proudly flashing his blue slip of paper with the assignment and topic and told me he was giving the talk. Admittedly, I thought to myself, “Great. A talk. This from my guy whose shy streak runs fierce when put in the spotlight.”

So as we finalized his talk on Christ’s Atonement yesterday morning and did a couple of dry runs, I was worried that he’d freeze up and refuse to open his mouth when the moment came. He’s never given the talk before, but even when he was assigned the weekly scripture or prayer, he’s gone mute under the pressure. So I prayed a little extra Sunday morning as we walked out the door that he’d find his voice and have the courage he needed to speak up like he does at home.

When it was his turn to speak, I walked up to assist and helped him step up on the chair so his little frame could peer above the podium. Immediately, his impulse to hide kicked in and his legs seemed to fill with concrete. But as I silently prayed he’d do it this time, he arose with head lowered a bit and one hand clinging fiercely to my back. Then we started. The children were completely reverent. I held his visual aid and he repeated the prompts. Even though his words were quiet at times, with the help of the microphone he was completely audible:

“This is my garden. When I make good choices, my flowers grow. But sometimes, I make mistakes. If I am mean to my sisters, the weeds grow. (He placed some weeds cut from green cardstock on top of the pretty flowers). When I don’t obey my parents, the weeds grow (more weeds attached). When I forget to pray, the weeds grow. If I cheat on a test, the weeds grow.

Jesus helps me get rid of the weeds. Because he sacrificed his life and atoned for my sins, he can help me get rid of my weeds. (Easton then removed all his weeds revealing the beautiful flowers). This is my garden now. It is beautiful like me. I love Jesus. I love my family. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.”

It was short and simple and the pure. The spirit was so strong as this small four year old boy shared his testimony of the atonement with all of us. As I left, he beamed his smile at me. I walked late into Sunday School and took my seat with moist eyes and a softened heart. Does it get any better than that?

So I’ve been thinking about my garden and the weeds that sometimes creep in. Metaphorically speaking. I want my garden to be beautiful and clutter-free. I want to get rid of the weeds. I will try harder to take advantage of that most precious gift from our Savior that was so freely given in the Garden and on the cross so many years ago. I will not take it for granted. The price was so high for Him.

2 comments:

  1. Kelli that is great. I have a tear in my eye now. Kids really do help us remember what is important and teach us everyday. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like Sunday was great even in the Primary...loved your RS comments Kelli!!!

    ReplyDelete