Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The Love Boat: Departing 2/13/10

Yes, it's true. The Love Boat is departing on Saturday night on a Hawaiian Islands cruise. The whole crew will be there. At least sort of. Captain Stubing's role will be played by the very talented Bishop Jim Goodman. When I talked to Diane about it a few weeks ago, she accepted on Jim's behalf and said, "Any opportunity to wear a hat is a good one." We both laughed. (In case you don't know my Uncle Jim, he's lacking in the hair department. Actually, he's pretty much bald.) He's such a good sport to be our ship's captain! It's only fitting, actually, since he is the captain of our ward.

Gopher and The Doc will be there too. Yours truly is Julie, the infamous Cruise Director. But I'm afraid I won't have the short brown bob to totally pull it off.

Navy blue suit - Yes.

Clip board - Yes.

Can Do Attitude - Absolutely.

But the hair - not so much.

And last but not least...my good humored husband was cast for the role of Isaac the bartender. (Yes, I know Ryan is white, has no fro, and no mustache. But a good costume can take care of most of that.) He'll be great. Bartending at a mormon shindig - how hard can that be? A little ice water, a little lemonade. Throw in some Sprite and cranberry juice to really get things shakin. Oh yeah. It's party time!

When I was brainstorming in early January about what fun things we might do for our Ward Adult Valentine's Party, I kept coming back to The Love Boat idea. The song ran through my mind the whole commute home from work. Are you singing it to yourself now?

"Love. Exciting and new. Come aboard. We're expecting you!"

Our committee loved the idea, so we decided to give it a whirl. My over-the-top fabulous friend, Louisa, made these adorable cruise tickets for the invitations. And our very talented home teacher and friend J.D. is helping us with our photo prop and costumes. It should be a great night. My mom and I have been busy. I'm pretty sure I couldn't do this activities director calling without her help. We've been scheming, cutting, designing, taping, sawing, painting, shopping. Last night we were hot gluing fools (and I have 2 blisters to prove it). But the decorations are pretty much done and they look great! Friday will be lots of cooking. I can hardly wait for the departure on Saturday night. We've got great decor, great food, and great entertainment all lined up. Now hopefully all the passengers will show up and make it a great cruise!

3 comments:

  1. That sounds so fun! I might have to drop by to check it out. You guys sure know how to live it up in that ward!

    ReplyDelete
  2. IT SOUNDS FABULOUS and you know I'M HERE FOR YOU ON FRIDAY! sorry about the hair Kelli...I feel for you!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to honest, I've never seen an episode of The Love Boat. I would love to see my dad as the captain though and everything else. Sounds like such a fun activity.

    ReplyDelete