Saturday, April 17, 2010

A Great Race

We came. We saw. We ran.
Ryan and I both did Pat's Run this morning at ASU and had a terrific time. I was so excited when Ryan said he'd join me (even though he hasn't run since Thanksgiving). Since it was a walk or run thing, he figured he could just walk when he wanted and run when he wanted. But he's a stud and he ran the whole time. I wore my bright green shirt so that he could find me amidst the 20,000 + runners, and I am so glad I did. It was crazy! Runners and walkers for miles. Seriously - miles! Everything about the race was top notch. It was totally organized, well staffed, and such a great experience all the way around.

In typical Kelli style, I got a little emotional just before the start when the soloist sang the National Anthem. It gets me every time. The place was silent as he belted out our nation's tribute with perfect pitch, followed by the customary eruption of applause at the end. I loved it. And I only teared up one other time. After the race, Ryan and I toured around the booths and stopped to read the Pat Tillman tributes in the Pat Tillman Foundation booth. The pictures spoke a thousand words themselves, but after I read about his life again, I was once again slightly emotional thinking about the sacrifice that he and so many, many thousands of other Americans make for us every day to help protect our freedoms and keep us safe. Freedoms I think we sometimes take for granted. I was thrilled to be a part of such a great event in honor of a great hero.

(By the way, the actual race itself was great too.) A few more hills than I'm used to running, but that just added to the fun. I finished strong. Time: 34:46 (which put me in the top 5% of all women and also in my age class Women 30-39). My goal was to run sub-35 minutes. I barely made it.

My awesome husband before the race.

Post-race inside ASU Stadium. We finished on the 42 yard line with the whole ASU football team on the sides cheering us on. So cool.

Ryan post race

I couldn't believe how many bananas & oranges & drinks they had lined up, ready for the finishing racers. This was just one section of the many tables set up.

It was a good Saturday morning for sure!

5 comments:

  1. I teared up reading your post...a couple of times...we must be related!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so awesome that you guys can do that! Good for you and you guys look great! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job. Next year I am running it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You guys look great for your post pictures. I would not be smiling if it was me. Oh and I would be on a stretcher.
    Way to go.

    ReplyDelete