Monday, April 12, 2010

Q2

Yesterday afternoon I spent a couple of hours in the kitchen making carrot cake, cutting fruit, and whipping up some to die for Triple Chocolate Chip cookies (recipe from Shari's Enlightened Homemaker Cookbook) to take to my parent's house for Sunday dinner with the family. (I was on dessert duty if you couldn't tell). I so enjoyed spending time baking and being in the kitchen. As a part time working mama in the middle of ball season with four evening games a week and jam packed weekends and church commitments, it seems like quality time in the kitchen has been hard to come by the past few weeks. We've been eating on the fly or cramming our dinners into short 20-minute windows between music lessons, games and homework. Or eating late after the games, which isn't a great option for us.

For some reason, the minute we get to the ball field, the kids' insatiable appetites kick into overdrive and they want to consume anything and everything in site. I bring the requisite snack bag with apples, granola bars, pretzels and bottled water (and occassionally a few tootsie pops for good measure), but they just eat and snack and beg and pilfer the whole time, regardless of whether we've eaten dinner before the game, we're eating it there, or holding out till afterwards. Crazy!
My theory is that they snack out of boredom. Or habit. Or both.

So as I reflected on all of this yesterday in my red kitchen I started to think a little bit more about my eating habits lately. Am I eating the way I should? Am I taking the easy route a little too often and choosing the fast route instead of the healthy route? Am I snacking out of boredom. Or habit. Or both?

Sadly, I think I already knew the answers. Sometimes we get caught up in the day to day and forget to focus on the big picture: living strong in the midst of living.

Hmmm...is it bad that I had pizza for lunch at Liberty Market on Saturday with my mom and girls and pizza again for dinner at CPK on my Saturday night date with Ryan? My thighs say yes. My taste buds say no. I want to be able to eat out on the weekends and enjoy the good life, no doubt about it. But if I'm gonna splurge a little on the weekend date or enjoy the Triple Chocolate Chip cookie delight at Sunday night dinner, I need to make sure that I've been on track during the week.

So today I am re-dedicating myself to eat a little better and snack a little smarter. I'm kicking up the work outs a notch too. I've gotten comfortable with the 3-day a week thing the past two months, but for me, to stay fit, I've gotta push 4 days and eat smart.
This morning was a good start to what should be a great week. I kicked off the day with my Interval X Plus workout (my very fav P90X Plus workout) and sweated like nobody's business. It hurt so good. (Tomorrow it may hurt so bad). Breakfast was a healthy fruit shake with spinach and flax and I am feelin' good!

In the business world, we just started what is commonly referred to as "Q2". We're 12 days in. Time for me to make my mediocre Q1 pale in comparison to Q2. 'Cause I know what's coming in Q3. Summer time...

No comments:

Post a Comment