Friday, April 30, 2010

High Five


This morning was awesome. Unbelievably fantastic perfect weather at 7:30 am. Shortly after we got the girls off to school, I headed out the door for my run. I had goose bumps from the get go due to the slight chill in the air and the breeze, but they subsided within a minute after I got warmed up. It was just sooooo nice out. Can I bottle this weather and pull it out one July day when it's 110? Hmmm...

I was worried that I might be a little lethargic on the pavement today since I stayed up too late reading Breaking Dawn. But surprisingly, my wheels were greased and my lungs were full. I had a great run.

Just as I finished mile three heading north on Harris approaching my parents' house, I saw Bishop Uncle Jim up the road coming off the canal. He, too, was out for his morning jog and looking so dang good. Seriously - so good. As we passed each other, we exchanged a high five and a big smile and kept running in opposite directions. I couldn't help but think what a miracle has occurred in his life this past year. It was just last July that he was diagnosed with stage four cancer - Mantle Cell Lymphoma. He endured all his chemo so well, and is now cancer free, despite all the odds. My heart and soul was filled with so much gratitude this morning as I ran, just thinking about the grace of our Heavenly Father. I couldn't begin to number the prayers that were (and still are offered) in plea for my Bishop Uncle Jim's full and lasting recovery. They were heard. They were answered. I am grateful.

My Uncle Jim is really an inspiration to me, no doubt about it. I see him out running and read about him on my Aunt Diane's blog hiking in the grand canyon just a week ago. He's living life, living strong. I am sure that Jim's perspective on life has been undeniably altered by his cancer battle. How could it not be? And it's just so awesome to see him not only recovered, but embracing life and a renewed body with full enthusiasm. I pray that my desire to live strong will likewise always endure.

Thanks for the high five, Jim. You made my day.

2 comments: