Thursday, October 22, 2009

Tired, but Good

Tired, so tired. Yet still I go, go, go. Right now I want to stop, stop, stop, and find a place to lay my head. I think it all started on Saturday with a very long run and full day of busyness “de-beaching” the Brown house. Then a good date night, late Saturday night and early Sunday morning rise for church. Sunday afternoon, one of my most favorite times, went by far too fast, and before I knew it, I’d missed my window of opportunity to sneak in a nap. Sunday night dinner at Grandma Cheri’s was super delicious and fun to spend time with family. Again, not enough sleep on Sunday night, which turned into a very early Monday morning with my jogging feet canvassing the asphalt in the wee hours of the day.

Monday whizzed by with a crazy busy catch-up day at work after a week of vaca, a terrific FHE with the family, late night computer work, bed, up again Tuesday for more running. 6 miles, followed by a never-sit-down-except-for-the-car-ride kind of day. Errand city with Easy E, finished the beach laundry (oh glory day!), parent teacher conferences, guitar lessons, spaghetti dinner, kids run through the wash, rinse & dry cycle, and off to the U2 concert, which by the way, took us almost 2 hours to get to. Seriously, it was the most insane traffic ever! We were basically bumper to bumper on the 202 from Dobson in Mesa to 43rd Ave.

We finally made it to the parking lot of U of P Stadium at 99th Ave & Bethany Home at 7:55, just in time to catch the last 2 songs of the Black Eyed Peas, who opened up for U2. The concert was definitely good (and packed and loud), but I wished we were sitting down lower in the $$ seats. I guess I need to admit that, on select occasions such as this, I am OK with forking out a little extra cash when it comes to a good concert and being up front. Thank goodness for the jumbo-trans. And it was long! U2 didn’t come on until just after 9:00 and they played until 11:25. Triple encore. A couple of world hunger pleas, and finally, they finished. We had taken Barrett & Afton with us (Ryan wanted them to experience U2 at an early age) and they were pretty dang tired by the end. But I’m glad they went too. What a cool thing to be able to say you saw U2 at ages 11 and 8!

I think my favorite song of the night was the acoustic performance of “Caught in the Moment.” I love it when they go old school and lose some of the noise. I love hearing every note of the guitar and being able to understand the lyrics with clarity, absent the drums, keyboard, and bass guitar. And The Edge – man he has a great voice! No doubt he’s an outstanding guitar man, but this was one of the first times I’ve really ever noticed how great he sings backup. Bono obviously has the center stage when it comes to vocals, but his whole band sings well. I’m glad that we got to be there with Morgan & Jessie too. Good times. Good memories. Tack another ticket stub on the wall of fame. What a good night!

So it was 12:30 when we finally got home and picked up the two sleeping little ones from my mom’s, then to bed by 1:00 am. It was one of those “You’ve got to be kidding me” moments when the 6:00 am alarm jolted me out my practically comatose state. I was thinking, “There’s no way I even slept for 5 minutes!” although I knew I hadn’t moved a muscle in the last 5 hours. You know that feeling?? Thankfully, Wednesday is a rest day on the training schedule, so my Asics stayed comfortably perched on my shoe shelf for the day. Until last night, that is, when I got home from work and tied them on again to go play 2 hours of volleyball. What a fun time! The women in our stake just started volleyball again this week, so we’re playing Wednesday nights from 8-10 for the next month. I love it! My bed was a sight for sore eyes last night. So glad I caught up a little on the sleep with close to 7 hours. But I ran again early this morning and I’m still feeling sleep deprived now at lunchtime. Thankfully, I know it’s nothing a good nap and an 8-hour sleep night won’t fix. Not sure how I could possibly finagle a nap over the next few days, but bedtime will hopefully come early tonight…

Still, life is good. So, so, good. As Beth would say, I’m not complaining, I’m reporting. So grateful to have this body, this strong heart and lungs, these powerful legs that keep moving me forward. What a gift to have health!

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean. I feel like I never get a moment to just sit. Man, I am tired. Our stake is doing volleyball on Thursdays too. I have been so excited to go all day since I missed last week. But, work ran late and I just can't get enough energy to stand on my feet more! I guess next week.

    ReplyDelete