Friday, August 28, 2009

A Great App

Just over 2 years ago (June 07), Apple released the very first iphone. We were in Carlsbad that month, enjoying our annual beach camping trip. My SIL Shari's brother, Kevin, was there too, and he had purchased one of these magnificent devices. As we all sat at the park one evening, he showed us all the cool features, including google maps, full view internet, and email attachments that looked like the real deal - no gibberish like you get on the Blackberry attachments. I was in love. So I waited about 2 months until the prices dropped dramatically and until my existing phone (that I had accidentally dropped in Rainbow Lake months earlier) finally gave up the ghost. Then I did it. I splurged and bought the iphone. I have loved it ever since. Now the iphone is everywhere, and just about every phone carrier has their own knock-off version. So it goes with technology.


So it's been 2 years since I acquired mine. Aside from all the great phone features, I've loved it for the perfect internet, super easy texting keyboard, weather, great photos, maps, email, calendar, etc. I could go on.

But...I've never been a huge app junkie. I just never took the time or interest in searching and downloading apps. And there are thousands of apps available to download from the App Store. Pretty much any need/want you can think of, there's an app for that. Just like the commercial says. Unlike some people I know who have downloaded pages and pages of apps from the App Store, I've downloaded a grand total of 7. I'm sure I'm missing out on some very cool stuff.

That being said, I am thrilled about my latest purchase. For $14.99, I downloaded an app called Read Scriptures.com. Not only does the download include all the standard works of scripture, including a fully searchable Topical Guide and Bible Dictionary, but it also comes with a boatload of other resources. Specifically, it has the last 2 years of general conference talks (and I'll get updates every subsequent conference for free), hymns, children's songbook, all of the church instruction manuals for every class (primary through Gospel Doctrine), True to the Faith, For the Strength of Youth, Family Proclamation, Living Christ, Lectures on Faith, etc. AMAZING! I am so excited to have such a wealth of regularly referenced information right at my fingertips. Literally.

No comments:

Post a Comment