Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Lipstick



After I walked the girls to the bus stop this morning, I headed out for my run. I stayed in my neighborhood and ran up and down the familiar streets as I often do. As I passed by each of my friends' houses, I thought of them and wondered what they might be doing, what was going on their lives, what they had planned for their day. I love my neighborhood. I have so many terrific friends here. As I ran by Cadi's house, I thought of her and imagined that she had probably already gotten her early morning workout in at the crack of dawn. Then I thought about the last blog post I read on her blog. She talked about feeling a little down or out of sorts one day, then remembered some good yet simple advice her father had often given over the years. "Take a shower. Comb your hair and put on some gloss." She realized that she hadn't taken any time to get ready for the day and so was in a little funk. It's amazing what a little freshening up will do for our spirits.

As I read Cadi's post last weekend, I immediately thought of my dear Grandma Sue (pictured above). Isn't she gorgeous? She passed away two years ago in May and I sure miss her. She was spicy and feisty and opinionated and wonderful. She loved taking pictures and always wanted to capture life on film. One funny memory I have of her is that when the cameras came out, she'd quickly ask, "Do I have my lipstick on?" She always wanted her lipstick. And I so vividly remember her telling me as a young girl, "Never leave the house without your lipstick and a little mad money." I loved that. And that advice stuck with me for sure. Truly, I am the lipstick girl. I never go anywhere without it. My grandma would be so proud.

Even if I'm in a rush, I always dab a quick coat on my lips and make sure my earrings are in. I am one of those believers, like Cadi and my Grandma Sue, that when we take a few minutes to make sure we're put together and ready to face the world, we'll embrace the day with a little more confidence and a little more zest. We'll be more likely to engage in conversation, more likely to jump at an impromptu opportunity, more ready for life.

So here's to the lips, girls! Gloss 'em up.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the holla about my blog! I am glad some girls could relate.

    My Grandma was the same way, laying bed ridden but always needed some lipstick and ponds cold cream :)

    Enjoying your blog, thanks so much for the invite. I love another uplifting blog to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember a lesson when I was in YW...she told us to never go anywhere out of the house if we weren't "put" together. I have never seen her without her hair and makeup done. That has always stuck with me. I am not perfect and occasionally go out without getting all ready, but I try really hard. Even days that I stay home all day...I still get ready...because it makes me feel better, and I am sure Ryan doesn't want to see me in my PJs all day long!

    ReplyDelete