Saturday, August 8, 2009

What Happens in the Middle

This past week has been a busy, but reflective one for me.  We had three deaths in our family the week before (my great Uncle Dave, my Uncle Mick, and Ryan's Grandma Gay).  The various services for Mick and Gay were held in town earlier this week.  On Monday evening, Ryan and I attended the viewing and mass for my Uncle Mick, who died of a brain tumor at the young age of 56.  The priest who conducted the service said something that has stayed with me all week. He said that when someone passes on, we often reference their birth and death dates on the program, the tombstones, the life histories, etc.  But those really are of very little significance.   Everyone is born and everyone will die.  

What really matters is what happens in the middle.  
What matters is what we do with our lives while we are here on earth.  He pled with us to enjoy the journey.  Worry less about what we did or didn't do yesterday and less about what might or might not happen tomorrow.  Live each day to its fullest.  

So I've let those thoughts linger all week and tried to apply that much needed reminder in my life.  I have tried to love my husband a little more, be a little kinder to my kids, try a little harder to be the kind of person I know I want to be.   And I am trying always to keep a half full perspective and keep the momentum moving forward.

I love my life.  I am richly blessed and thankful to be where I am today, living the life I have. Here are some of the pictures from Mick's services this week.  The funeral was on Tuesday morning, followed by a graveside service at the cemetery and a very nice luncheon at Laurie's ward building.  It was a blessing to be together with our family at this time.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment