Monday, September 28, 2009

Measuring Up

Some days are better than others. Some days, the little tender mercies of the Lord are more evident and our souls seem a little more “in tune.” Some days, it seems like my “cup runneth over.” Yesterday, Sunday, was one of those great days for me. Every one of our meetings was good and inspiring and what I needed to hear. I especially loved our sacrament meeting. Because of the upcoming General Conference this weekend, we had fast and testimony a week early. And even though I don’t love to fast, it’s so good for me spiritually. It helps me realize that I can be strong even when I am weak. It helps me feel a little more humble, a little more teachable, a little closer to the spirit. Sometimes we all need that I think.

Bishop Uncle Jim was back at church yesterday. He looked good and said he felt good. He finished his first round of treatment (8 days in the hospital) followed by a week of recovery. Round two will start in early October. At the end of our sacrament meeting, he stood and took about 5-10 minutes and shared some thoughts and testimony with our congregation. As always, he was humble and grateful, but so powerful in his message to us. My heart was full and my eyes were wet as I listened. Just what I needed to hear.

I was also really touched by the words of Craig Pulver, who is currently serving as first counselor in the bishopric. He is such a good man. He’s an avid bike rider, so he began his testimony talking about his Saturday morning bike ride and how he wasn’t really feeling up to par. He decided that he didn’t want to ride at the fast pace of his group, so he fell back and decided to ride alone that day. He plugged in his earphones and ipod, but said that he never turned them on. Instead, as he rode, he found that he had time to think with a clear head, with no distracting voices. He began singing some of his favorite church hymns. Then he recited the articles of faith. Then some of his favorite scriptures. All outloud, all while he was biking, all while he was alone on his ride. Craig said it was such an out of the ordinary thing for him. He talked about how he started to think a little more about his testimony of Christ and the gospel, and wondered how he “measured up.” He talked about how we seem to measure everything in this world with numbers (e.g., our sales goals, our home teaching, our finances, our weight, etc.). But our testimonies and faith can’t possibly be measured under such a test. And that is what God intended. We need to do our own self-evaluation and see how we “measure up” against the person we are striving to be. Again, just what I needed.

His anecdote rang so familiar. So many times as I am out running in the early morning hours, all by myself, no iPod or distractions, my mind roams free. I think of all kinds of things. I make lists in my head, I recite things I know, I plan for the day. I love it. Time for reflection and re-commitment is essential. I always know I can be better.

At the end of our meeting, our closing hymn was “Secret Prayer.” My parents were sitting in the pew right behind us. As I listened to my mom’s beautiful voice singing loud and perfect, I had the craziest flashback to my young childhood days. I vividly recalled being in the old chapel of the Lehi building where we attended church during my childhood years (before our current church was built). I remember laying on my mom’s lap while winding her fabric belt around and around my tiny fingers. She was gently stroking my hair and playing with my ear, which I love. And as I laid there, she sang “Secret Prayer” aloud with the congregation in that same perfect, simple, clear voice that I heard yesterday. I love to listen to my mom sing. I love the echo in the chorus of that song. First the women, then the men. Every phrase is an echo.

May my heart,
Be turned to pray.
Pray in secret, day by day.
That this boon,
To mortals giv’n,
May unite my soul with heav’n.

I smiled as I sat there yesterday, singing aloud with the congregation, remembering my church going days from long ago, loving listening to my mother sing. I am so grateful to have my parents in the same ward. I am grateful that they taught us the gospel and encouraged us to be our best. And I am most grateful that no matter what, I always have the opportunity to try a little harder to be a little better.

I know that it’s nowhere near Mother’s Day, but as I was typing these thoughts about my wonderful mom, I thought of the pictures that my mom and I took together on Mother’s Day this year.

1 comment:

  1. HERE'S TO YOU KELLI....A WONDERFUL AND A BEAUTIFUL MOTHER!! I'M SO GLAD YOU ARE IN OUR WARD....I LOVE YOU GIRL!!!!

    ReplyDelete