Thursday, September 3, 2009

That Would Work Out Great

I am so looking forward to spending a few days up in the pines this holiday weekend. We are retreating to the cabin in Pine with Grandpa Reid, Kris, our folks, and a bunch of cousins. We can hardly wait.

In their excitement to get to the cabin as soon as humanly possible, the girls have offered their opinions on the ideal (meaning ideal for them) departure scenario several times over the past few days. Each version went something like this: "OK, Mom, this is what we should do. On Friday, have all our bags packed, all of the food ready, the ice chest filled up, and all of the stuff loaded into the suburban. And don't forget our water bottles. And then we can just go to the bathroom at school right before we leave. And then have everyone ready and buckled in the suburban, come get us from the bus stop, and we can just go straight to the cabin. We'll just throw our backpacks in the back. We don't even have to go home. Don't you think that would work great?"

Sure. Great. So I offered an alternative scenario.

"How about you pack all the food and you pack all the bags and you load it in before you go to school. Then I'll play all day and I'll be ready to go when you walk home from the bus stop. Don't you think that would work out great?"

I got a couple of knowing grins shot back at me.
I think they got the message that mom doesn't like to do it all.
So they are eager and ready to help back their own bags tonight :)

Here are a handful of scrapbook pages of times enjoyed at the cabin in recent years. Of course I'll be taking my camera (never go anywhere without it) this weekend too, so I'll have some new gems to post soon.

Pics from Labor Day last year




3 comments:

  1. come see us this week end...finally our kids/grandkids will be making their own memories in a cabin in the pines (well, I think there are just like 10 or 12 "pines" and most of them small but it is the mountains)...right now it is just "work" but WHAT MEMORIES THEY WILL BE!! Sounds like your kids have a grasp on what it takes, HAVE FUN!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds a lot like our situation. It's nice that the big kids are finally beginning to understand their usefulness. Have a great weekend. It's raining horses and cows here right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am pretty sure that my kids most best memories will be from the 'pine house'. We looooove it up there. Thanks for walking over and saying hi!

    ReplyDelete