Thursday, September 17, 2009

The Zebra Print


A couple of weeks ago, I was out shopping for some new shower curtains and towels for the cabin. It was one of those rare times when I was all alone.  

No little appendages asking all their wonderful kid questions.  
No one pleading for treats.  
No one climbing in and out of the cart.  
No one using the cart as leverage to propel themselves at superhuman speeds down the aisle on their Heely's

No one complaining that it's time to go home.  

Nope.  Not this time.  
Just me and the goods and the store.  

So I relished the moment (I mean hour) and perused every aisle.  Just looking, thinking, wishing, planning, scheming.  The perfect shop as it was meant to be. 

And then I came to the fabric area.  I love the fabric area.   Truly, I am my mother's daughter! Even when I don't have a specific project in mind, I love to look at the fabrics and think, "Hmmmmm....what adorable thing could I make with this?"   I had just barely started to look and then I saw it.  The zebra print parked right next to the hot pink and black polka dots! I knew I had to have them.  For what, I hadn't decided, but I knew it was the beginnings of something irresistibly cute in my mind.   I'd been wanting to make a couple of new aprons, and I thought it would be the perfect print for the little diva in me.  But then I thought again and remembered that my dear friend Andrea's baby shower was coming up and I instantly knew that her babe just had to have it.  So I picked out some coordinating prints, a little batting, and headed home with my treasures. 

While we were at the cabin over Labor Day weekend, I cut the quilt squares and got it prepped. Then last week before the shower, I went to town on my newly serviced 1960's Singer (the same sewing machine my mom received for her 8th grade graduation as a gift from her parents).  My mom granted me custody of this gem years ago and I have really enjoyed sewing with it.  I must admit, her Bernina machines are way awesome to sew with, but this little beauty has served me well.    

So while I fully realize it's not very polite to toot your own horn, I'm tooting away on this project because THIS QUILT IS SO STINKIN' CUTE!  I love Andrea and I can hardly wait to see little Lauren Annabelle with her diva zebra print quilt!  

(Double click on any picture to make it larger)







One of my dear friends, Ann, who I met years ago at work and who has been such an inspiration to me, gave me the pattern for this quilt a few years back.  She's made hundreds of them I think, including two she made for Rowan and Easton when they were born.  Both my little angels still sleep with them every night!  And the great thing about these quilts is that they get softer and softer with every wash and dry.  Below is the pattern (just in case one of my fellow cronies wants to make one...)


2 comments:

  1. I soo love that quilt, your fabric choices are amazing. You gave Olivia a beautiful quilt for my baby shower and she uses it all the time. I think I might have to use that pattern, I am still a beginner at sewing though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! It turned out great Kelli! Now, you know I will never let you forget that you didn't get around to making me one for Grady...:) so when I have my little girl...you will have to just make me two! :)

    ReplyDelete